Friday, January 29, 2016

2015 in Review: New Recipes

A friend requested that I post the new recipes that I tried and liked in 2015.  And since I am just glad anyone takes the time to read these ramblings, I acquiesced.  My desire to try new things and start new projects is directly related to how I feel, so it isn't surprising that for a large portion of 2015, I just stuck to the tried and true and made do.  A couple of these recipes I discovered late in 2014, but then became frequent makes in 2015.  Also, it shouldn't surprise anyone that 2 of the 5 recipes are those for the crockpot.  It was that sort of year.

{Images taken from the sites linked below}


Chickpeas in Curried Coconut Broth:  My sister was trying to find recipes that would fit the various health restrictions of various guests and came across this.  It is dead easy and pretty tasty.  I don't think it even really needs to sit all day in the crockpot, but it is easy enough to just throw stuff together and let it do it's thing while you go on with life.  For curry powder, I use Penzey's tandoori seasoning which is by far my preferred "curry."  Also, I don't use the pickled jalapeños, although I imagine that might take it to another level.  

Chicken Alfredo with Spinach:  Another easy throw together meal.  I wasn't sure how my children would handle the wilted spinach, but they do just fine.  For the meat, I use half of a chicken that I have already cooked and frozen.  (I roast two chickens at a time and then freeze the meat in half-chicken portions.)

Pressure-Cooked Re-fried Beans:  We purchased a pressure cooker in 2015.  (Or was it 2014?)  Anyway, I love it.  It just adds a whole other dimension of flexibility.  Were you planning on doing a long braise or crockpot recipe but ran out of time?  No worries, just adapt the recipe to the pressure cooker, and it will be done in less than an hour.  Beans cook in minutes as well as spaghetti squash and potatoes.  I love it.  Anyway, you just throw stuff together, pressure cook it for a few minutes, puree it with a stick blender and you are good to go.  I usually use a portion for dinner that day (tostadas, etc.) and then freeze the rest in jars for a quick meal later.  This probably is not going to be helpful to anyone who doesn't have a pressure cooker.  Sorry.

Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala:  I don't know if this is THE chicken tikka masala recipe that you have been looking for, but it is good and easy.  I end up doing 2 teaspoons garam masala and 1 teaspoon tandoori seasoning because I find garam masala to be a bit overwhelming.  I am so authentic.  

Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup:  It appears that 2015 was all about the easy/quick curries.  This is a Thai take.  I increased the meat, and added carrots, etc. to it.  I fed it to the sister missionaries for dinner, and they were like, "Uh, what is this?"  You may share that opinion, or you may think this is pretty tasty too.

And there you have it.  There were a few other new recipes tried, but none that I repeated.  Slim pickings this year, but perhaps you will be inspired by this meager list.  Please also let me know if you came across any worthwhile recipes in 2015.  I could use a jump start.  

For more recipes check out  2012, 2013, 2014

1 comment:

RFamily said...

Yes! Thank you! I am excited to try the tikka masala and chicken Alfredo. Also a friend here recently raved about the coconut soup so I may need to try it as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...