Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

We had plans to spend Thanksgiving at my sister's.  We were excited for the trip since we hadn't seen them in about a year.  My other sister would be there along with some of my brother-in-law's siblings.  I also wanted to go since I knew for certain that we would be spending Christmas at home, just the four of us.  The night before we were supposed to leave, however, I woke up at 2 am sick with anxiety about the trip.  I was so distraught that I even woke Mr. F. up in the middle of the night to tell him about it.  I just was not healthy enough to travel.  This was right during one of my low points with my health.  I was spending days on the couch, unable to do anything.  I was barely getting through the day--trying desperately to finish homeschool and dinner before crashing by 1 pm.  Even though we were to leave the next day, I hadn't been able to packed anything, and I just could not find the energy to do so.  The next morning, I  texted my sister to tell her that we were not coming, and then fell into a major fit of depression that I was letting everyone down.  I was just so, completely incapacitated.  

Finn was especially distraught because he loves visiting the cousins.  He had been looking forward to the trip a lot.  He was also under the misconception that there would be no turkey unless we were going to the cousins.  He rallied a bit when he learned that we would be going to the grocery store and getting the ingredients for our own Thanksgiving dinner.  It pays to marry someone who can cook, because Mr. F. took charge of dinner, and made it happen.  We also bought some helium balloons so that we could have our annual Thanksgiving Day parade around the neighborhood.  

Despite the disappointing beginning, it ended up being a really wonderful day.  The kids watched a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade from two years ago (bonus, all the commercials were edited out!) while Mr. F. and I prepped dinner.  We walked around the neighborhood with our balloons and enjoyed the unseasonably warm weather.  We ate a very tasty Thanksgiving dinner.  And then Mr. F. won points by engaging the kids in making Pilgrim hats.  






  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...