Friday, August 14, 2015

Flashback Friday: Sounds of my childhood

Growing up, I had a collection of fairy tale audio books.  They came with an illustrated book, each done by a different illustrator, and a cassette tape.  I would place the tape into my own small, red, tape player and read along, turning the pages at the sound of the beep.  I loved these books.  I loved the timber of the voices, the story-enhancing music in the background, and the illustrations.  I would spend hours listening to them.  This collection of audio books is one of the few things that I have kept from my childhood.  The My Little Ponies, and the Strawberry Shortcake dolls did not make the cut.



(Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Twelve Dancing Princesses, The Wild Swans)
I have been wanting to introduce my children to these books for a while, but there was a bit of a problem.  We don't own a cassette player.  Nor was I excited about purchasing an obsolete piece of equipment just to transfer the tapes to an electronic audio file.  Luckily, I have friends and acquaintances who hold on to  such archaic listening devices, and I was able to borrow a tape player from them.  Now however, I can see the benefit of owning our own tape player.  (Although, I won't be purchasing one anytime soon.)  My kids love being able to put the tape in, press the button, change the tape, etc. all by themselves.  While Finn is pretty savvy with his ipod, Enna is way to young to manage hers.

These books have already paid off in hours of entertainment.  A win for all involved.  So far the favorites have been: Rumpelstiltskin, The Bremen Town Musicians, Stone Soup, Cinderella, and the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Stories that have been deemed to scary due to their illustrations?  Beauty and the Beast, and Rapunzel.  




2 comments:

RFamily said...

I had a disney version of this type of book and loved them. Jealous you still have yours!

joyce hanks said...

I still have tapes from when your husband was young.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...