Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Happy Fourth

As a parent, I feel this pressure to make childhood magical and have elaborate holiday celebrations in order to make memories.  It is a social media trap that I find myself falling for again and again.  To avoid this obvious defeating pitfall, I should ditch the social media scene altogether except I do enjoy keeping tabs on friends in distant lands.  In the meantime, I need to remind myself that 1) I am my own person. 2) I don't see the whole picture. 3) Childhood is magical regardless of my efforts.

Take for example the 4th of July.  I had almost convinced myself that I needed to make special holiday pancakes along with an elaborate picnic dinner complete with pie.  In actuality, my kids wanted me available for fun.  Honesty, doing something as simple as eating outside was enough of a change from our everyday routine to make it special.  So, that is what I did.  Breakfast was our normal baked oatmeal.  Dinner (which was actually a lunch since the weather was forecasted to turn nasty later) consisted of grilled hamburgers/hotdogs, chips, a fruit salad, and raw veggies.  I did however, make a pie.  A very lovely blueberry and cream pie.

This kids had a wonderful time.  We ate outside and then set off some really mild fireworks.  We went to bed before official fireworks even started and weren't even disturbed.  It was enough.  I was enough.







Blueberries and Cream Pie
adapted from Bakerlady

Recipe for once single pie crust (I adapt this one from SmittenKitchen)

Filling
3 cups blueberries
3.5 ounces honey
1.5 ounces all-purpose, gluten-free flour
2 eggs
4 ounces sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Streusel Topping
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (sucanat)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 ounces all-purpose, gluten-free flour

Directions
Roll out pie crust into a 12-inch circle.  Transfer to a pie pan.  Trim, fold, and crimp edges.  Chill for 30 minutes in freezer or refrigerator.

While crust is firming up, mix together the filling (honey, flour, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla).  Put the blueberries on the bottom of the crust and pour the filling over the blueberries and spread it out.

For the streusel, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.  Pour the melted butter into the bowl and mix everything together.  Crumble the topping over the pie.

Bake the pie at 350 for 50-55 minutes.  Let pie cool completely.


4 comments:

Janssen said...

I love this. Childhood IS magical - it doesn't need a lot of help from grown-ups.

Carol said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Fourth! And your children are adorable. I love the shot of them sitting on the blanket together.

Carol said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Fourth! And your children are adorable. I love the shot of them sitting on the blanket together.

Kari said...

You are enough. : ) And remember that social media allows people to only present the best of themselves, in a self-edited way. I do it too - I post pretty pictures from our last trip instead of a picture of the line of ants streaming across our kitchen floor that I can't get rid of without poison (though I tried everything I could before resorting to poison). So be you, and enjoy that. Reslish it, in fact.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...