Monday, January 26, 2015

Chocolate chip cookies: gluten-free, reduced sugar

I just typed that title and had to chuckle, because who would find that appealing?  Yes, some people might need to eat gluten-free, but reduced sugar?  What, pray tell, is the point of eating cookies?  The truth of the matter?  Cookies are just too sweet for me these days.  The sugar goes straight to my brain, and I get a headache.  So, yeah, I am looking for something sweet, but not "make me ill" sort of sweet.  I reduced the sugar by a third.  I would like to do it by a half, but then you start changing the cookie texture--the cookies start to end up looking like round little cakes.  Somedays I don't mind that, but other days I do.

If you want the unadulterated version of this cookie, you can find it two places: Smitten Kitchen and Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  Both have named it one of their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes.  They are almost identical except for slightly more flour in Mel's version and slightly more vanilla in Smitten's.  I bastardized this version even more by reducing the number of chocolate chips by half.  Two cups seems obscene to me, like, how is there even enough dough to hold that many?

Now that I have disinterested everyone, here is my version.



Chocolate Chip Cookies, gluten-free and reduced sugar

9.6 ounces all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use this one).
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
12 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
7 ounces of sucanat
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make sure an oven rack is in the center of the oven.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sucanat together until well mixed. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Mix well until the batter has lightened slightly in color, about 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips at the same time. Mix until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Form dough into tablespoonful-sized balls and place on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets. 

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until the edges are set and just lightly browned. Don't overbake. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...