Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Flashback: Meet Big Baby, formerly known as Katie

I was a child of the 80's and if I do say so myself, the 80's had some really awesome toys.  I adored Care Bears; my sisters made me Care Bear pillows and painted Care Bear figurines for my birthdays.  I played with Strawberry Shortcake dolls (I owned Strawberry Shortcake, Lemon Meringue, Angel Cake, Almond Tea, and Plum Pudding.)  I had a sizable collection of My Little Ponies (and also the stable and the pink castle monstrosity).  And of course, any one who was anyone, had a Cabbage Patch Doll.

My Cabbage Patch Doll, though, was extra special.  My mother made it for me for Christmas.  She made it to look just like me as a baby: brown curly hair and dark brown eyes.  The doll even wore my old baby clothes.  She made one for each of my sisters: curly blond hair and blue eyes for M. and straight brown hair and blue eyes for N.  We all fondly remember that Christmas as the Christmas of the Cabbage Patch Doll.  (Not to be confused with the Christmas of the Pound Puppy, another great Christmas and another great toy of the 80's.)





I christened my doll Katie, after my blond-haired and blue-eyed cousin (because of course!)  I dragged Katie around the house, left her on the floor, and loved her thoroughly.  With so much love, Katie's face got horribly dirty, and it never occurred to me (or my mother?!) to clean it.   In fact, when I acquired Katie again last year after years of her being stored at my Parents', I wondered if it was even possible to clean her up, or if she should be (gasp!) tossed.  However, with a little bit of stain treating and a gentle wash, she became as good as new.

Shortly after turning one, Enna started being enamored with babies and stuffed animals.  She would steal other children's play babies at play dates and not want to give them back.  Obviously, Enna needed a baby of her own.  First, I gave her the doll we gave Finn when he was younger.  However, I could tell, she was less than enthusiastic with it.  I then brought out the big guns and gave her Katie.  It was love at first sight.



To distinguish between the two dolls, we called them Little Baby and Big Baby.  Big Baby is almost as tall as Enna herself, and is rather cumbersome.  However, that doesn't stop her!  Big baby nurses with us.  Big Baby needs hugs before bedtime, naps, and leaving the house. (Enna would love it if Big Baby could sleep with her but, I put my foot down.  There is not enough room.)  Enna always makes sure that the gate is closed so that Big Baby doesn't follow and fall down the stairs.  We sure do love that Big Baby.

And look!  It appears that Enna treats her as lovingly as I used to.


  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...