Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Gluten-Free Banana Coconut Muffins

My freezer has never been so full of bananas in my whole life.  This isn't mentioned in parenting books, but with the introduction of children eating solid foods into your life, there also comes bananas.  Lots of them.  We don't seem to eat bananas consistently.  Some weeks we eat all the bananas we buy and want for more.  Other weeks, those bananas languish on the counter turning brown and inedible. At that point, those brown, bespeckled things are tossed into the freezer to crystalize until I turn them into a redeeming baked good.  I am always on the lookout for interesting recipes calling for bananas.

Unfortunately, I am not a huge fan of banana-flavored foods.  As a mother of small children who eat bananas and really like bananas in all forms however, I figure this is my cross to bear--to bake and eat banana bread, waffles, scones, cookies, etc. more often than I would otherwise choose.  The easiest way to make banana baked goods more appetizing is to, of course, throw chocolate in there.  Chocolate makes everything more palatable.  But......I had this thing (called a nursing child) where I couldn't eat chocolate if I ever wanted to sleep again at night, so that surefire method wasn't available to me.

Enter Banana Coconut Muffins.  The coconut really steps up the allure of the banana.  The flavor hints of the tropics, or a deserted island, or solitude.  Suddenly these muffins seem really appealing.  I can eat one of these at the end of the long day and imagine that I am anywhere but here.  Or not.

For all of you heathens that can actually consume gluten, the original, wheat-contaminated recipe is here.  In addition to subbing out the flour, etc., I doubled the recipe (who wants 8 muffins?), replaced the sugar with honey and reduced the amount of sweetener, and slightly upped the coconut to make it an even 2 cups.




Gluten-Free Banana Coconut Muffins

Ingredients:
8.4 ounces all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use this one)
2.9 ounces almond flour
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 very ripe bananas, mashed (1 1/2 cup)
2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
6 ounces honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut

Directions:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups with liners or grease.

Whisk together flour, guar gum, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together bananas, butter, honey, egg, vanilla, and coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.

Divide batter among lined muffin cups. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly. 

Yields about 16 muffins.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...