Monday, March 3, 2014

Sewing: Weighted Blanket

So, I might have mentioned once, twice, or a few thousand times, that Finn doesn't sleep well.  At first I assumed it was a baby thing, then a toddler thing.  I heard that some kids don't sleep through the night until they are three, so that became the new end point.  Now?  I don't know.  Finn might always have a hard time sleeping.  For now, I just hope to get to the point where he can fall back asleep independently or at least be more self-directed in the middle of the night.

That being said, I still can't stop trying everything and anything that might help.  I have learned that children with SPD often have trouble sleeping and that weighted blankets can sometimes help.  The blanket prevents their arms and legs from feeling restless and interfering with sleep.  It helps to calm their nervous system by having constant pressure.  (Think about the weighted apron dentists use for x-rays.  Some people, like myself, find them relaxing).  I started looking online for sources and found a tutorial for making one.  The tutorial appeared straight forward and rather painless, so I gave it a go.



The front fabric is this retro dinosaur print which Finn picked out (from a number of approved prints provided by yours truly) and the back is baby blue flannel.  The squares are 4x4 inches.  (Well, ideally, 4x4.  It appears that I still can't seem to cut a straight line to save my soul and close examination would show that.)  Each square is filled with poly-fill beads that can be washed and dried.

The most tedious part was drawing the grid lines on the back and the back and forth filling and sewing.  (So basically, most of the blanket construction.)  The result though is a nice, weighty blanket.  Truth be told, I kind of want one.  If I were to make one for an adult though, I think I would take two flat twin-sized sheets to get the right width and length.

It has only been a couple of nights, but already we have seen a decrease in the night waking--only once each night!  Woot woot!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...