Monday, January 13, 2014

A week solo parenting

I started this account at the beginning of the week, having no idea how the week would progress.

Sunday

Mood: Apprehensive
  • 1 1/2 hours of church in between Enna's tired meltdowns indicating a need for a nap.  I could have perhaps pushed for staying longer, but Finn was experiencing anxiety due to attending primary for the first time.  I didn't have it in me to contend with two unhappy kids, so I bailed after second hour.
  • After church, I put Enna down for a nap and grabbed Lunch for Finn and I--a soup concoction of Mr. F.'s that we had left over.  I was just glad I didn't have to make anything new.
  • Around dinner time, I really start missing Mr. F.  I had made a pan of lasagna the night before, so I didn't have to do much dinner prep, but I missed having someone distract the kids while I reheated items and set the table.  My anxiety starts to sky rocket.
  • Bed time is pretty seamless.  Finn is just excited that there is an added section of the day that he gets to "watch something" on the iPad.  (He is allowed screen time whenever I put Enna down for a nap.)  Enna is asleep by 6:30 and Finn by 7:15.  
  • I head to bed at 8, because I fear for what the night might bring.

{Source}


Monday

Sleep: 4 wake ups in 9 hours: three from Enna, one from Finn.  At 5:00 (and every 5 minutes after that until I get up), Finn comes into my room.  Enna joins the party 6.

Mood: I can do this
  • No definite plans for the day.  I thought preschool would be starting again this week, and that would have been awesome.  Routine!  Scheduled outings!  But no.  It starts the following week.  Somebody hates me.
  • I cope with stress and anxiety by cleaning.  I attack the master bathroom because it had been an embarrassing long time.  I also tackle the laundry. 
  • Enna naps.  Finn and I eat left over lasagna for lunch.  I cook some rice for dinner and defrost some beans.
  • Outings!  We need some things from Target and then we have books to take back and pick up from the library.  At the library, we play until Finn starts acting all crazy, and I feel like I need to take him home.  Foo.
  • For dinner, I slap together the old college standby: beans and rice with cheese.  Lucky for me, it is one of Finn's favorites.
  • Bedtime.

Tuesday

Sleep: Enna wakes up at 11, 1:30, 5:30, and 6:30.  Finn wakes up at 11ish but goes back to bed easily.  He sleeps until 6:30.  Ironically, this is a good night because I get some solid chunks of sleep 3, 2, and then 4 hours.

Mood: Truckin' along
  • Enna is teething and is fussy and irritable.  She refuses a morning nap.
  • It is the coldest day of the week--19F.
  • I planned a morning playdate with a friend so that we could get out of the house.  We are there until E throws a full body fit due to exhaustion.  
  • After lunch and nap, I had the brilliant idea to head to the marine museum and also to the lab to donate my commencement robe.  It would have been a perfect plan for an impossibly cold day, but the marine museum is closed until "early spring" for construction.  We find that out after driving the 20 minutes there.  We still drop off my robe.
  • Dinner and then bedtime--all pretty painless. 

Wednesday

Sleep: Enna wakes up at 10:00, 11:30, 3:00, 6:00.  Finn wakes up at 3:00 and then 5:30.  At 5:30, I have to put him to bed twice before he then sleeps until 6:20

Mood: Only at halfway point, heaven help me.
  • Again, Enna refuses a morning nap.
  • I freeze the lasagna we have been eating for three days and are tired of.
  • Start a crockpot meal.
  • Make some oatmeal for breakfasts.
  • Despite no morning nap, Enna takes only a measly 40 min afternoon nap.  (Who hates me?)  Her teeth obviously hurt but I feel like I can't keep her on Motrin all day long.  I am saving that for the nighttime.
  • Spend the day trying to be patient with the kids who are stir crazy, but not having much success.  It is too cold to be outside and indoor places are nonexistent.  Start to panic about Friday and Saturday as we have no plans.  I send out a few pleading texts for play dates, but get no bites.
  • More housework in an attempt to keep busy and not be annoyed by my kids.  Enna insists on being held so I put her in the carrier and get stuff done.
  • Put Enna down for bed at 5:30 because she is absolutely exhausted.  Finn and I work on a puzzle, then get ready for bed and read some books.  He is asleep by 7:15.

This is me.


Thursday

Sleep: Enna up at 10:30, 11:00, 1:30, 5:30, 5:50.  Finn up at 5:50

Mood: So exhausted.
  • Finally, we have plans.  This is great because I can hardly function I am so tired.
  • Occupational therapy after breakfast which includes a 40 minute drive to and from.
  • Lunch and dinner prep.
  • Enna finally takes a nap!
  • We head to a friend's house for a playdate--another 35 minute drive in the car there and back.
  • Home, eat dinner, bedtime.

Friday

Sleep: Enna up at 9:30, 12:00, 3:30 5:15.  Finn doesn't wake up until morning--5:50.

Mood: I hate my life
  • Despite a good night's sleep, Finn spends the first hour or so throwing epic fits.  
  • I attempt to bake bread (gluten-free) from a new cookbook.  It is an abysmal failure that further drives my mood south.  I made another loaf from our go-to recipe.
  • Head to the grocery store for a few staples: cream, orange juice, bananas.
  • Enna takes a nap and Finn and I FaceTime with Mr. F.
  • Putting around the house doing......stuff.
  • Dinner at 4:30.  We have been eating at 4:30 all week.  It seems impossible to hold out until 5:00.
  • Enna has a hard time falling asleep taking closer to an hour to do so vs. a half hour. 
  • Finn asleep by 7:15.

{Source}

Saturday

Sleep: Enna up at 12:00, up from 2:00 to 3:00, 5:00 for the day.  Finn up at 5:30, then 6:30

Mood: Mentally unwell
  • Barely functioning. I put Enna down for a morning nap and then leave Finn attached to the iPad so that I can "sleep" on the couch for an hour until Enna wakes up.
  • It is warm enough (60 F) and there is a slight break in the rain so we go for a bike ride/walk around the block.
  • Lunch and then a nap for Enna.
  • We have been invited to a birthday party!  I misread the announcement and show up a little bit early, but I don't really care since we are out of the house and my kids are being entertained for two hours.
  • Home for dinner.  We follow dinner with some water time in the bath and then bed.  
  • Enna asleep by 6:30.  Finn is so excited that dad comes home tomorrow that he doesn't fall asleep until 7:40.

Sunday

Sleep: Enna up at 9:30, 12:00, up from 3:00-4:00, 6:15.  Finn up at 11:00, 3:00, 5:00, and then 6:20.

Mood: Why do my children hate me?

  • I have to wake Enna up from her morning nap to make it to the second and third hour of church.  She is tired.  (I wonder why?)
  • After church, we have lunch (leftovers which I am getting tired of, but I don't want to cook) and I put Enna down for her afternoon nap.
  • Finn and I do some crafts with googly eyes and pom poms while Enna sleeps.  
  • When Enna is up, we go outside for a bike ride and walk around the block.  The milder weather is such a blessing at this moment.
  • I attempt a second try at the new gluten-free bread recipe.  It fails.  I am officially done with that book.
  • I have a brief conversation with my sister while I warm food up for dinner.  (Another set of leftovers of which I am tired.)
  • Enna acts tired even though she took a later nap today.  While she doesn't fall asleep right away, she is content to chill in her bed.  I will take it.
  • Finn and I read a book as part of bedtime and.......Mr. F. returns!  He takes over the bedtime routine and I slip away.


O.k.  So now that it is done, I can say that we survived and it could have been worse.  (Actually, the sleeping probably couldn't have been much worse at least for Enna, but everything else could have been.)  The solo week ended up being the perfect storm of really cold weather, friends out of town, nothing to do, bad sleep, and teething.  I am grateful though that nothing horrible happened.  There were no trips to the E.R.  Everyone was healthy.  I will be grateful for those small mercies. 








1 comment:

Kristina said...

Wowza. Kinda sounds like the first time I stayed home without the hubby for a while. It's weeks like this that I begin to question Marilla's old adage "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it." What if the days run together and nights aren't moments of respite but nightmares played out in real life? But as you can see, I am here to tell the tale and add to it many more weeks of solo parenting. It has become easier, but still undesirable.
PS What are the books about GAPS that you read?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...