Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013 in Review: Favorite Books



Wow.  This was a slow year.  I read a whopping total of 24 books.  I guess this is on par with the 30 read Finn's first year but with the added decrease in having another child who lobbies strongly for my attention.

In no particular order:

Shadow and Bone: this is the first book in a trilogy, with the first two already published.  The story was compelling and I really enjoyed the slavic undertones.  The second book seemed like an adequate sequel, but suffered a bit from the 2nd book syndrome.

The Poisoner's Handbook:  This was such a fascinating listen.  The book was written a bit like a mystery novel, in that you didn't know exactly who the murderer was at the time.  You learn that later when the forensic scientists do--as the evidence points to the perpetrator.  

Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease: This is the type of book that bores your family members and friends because you just can't. stop. talking. about. it.  There is so much information in this book and it touches on practically everything food related.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: This would be my favorite fiction read of the year.  It was such a delightful book.  It was charming, poignant, and a bit melancholy.  Even now, I feel a very strong attachment to Harold Fry, and he isn't even real.

The Raven Boys: I don't know how Maggie Steifvatter does it, but she can take a subject and plot that doesn't not interest me one bit and write a compelling novel.  (The exception is of course, her first trilogy, which I didn't care for.)

The Secret Keeper: This story is classic Kate Morton--English setting with a plot that spans generations.  And like all Morton's books, there is a twist.  The twist to this novel made the book for me.  It was just so unexpected and so delightfully surprising.

Attachments: Kind of your classic Chick Lit novel, but it was so well written, that I forgave it.


I need to step up my game in 2014.  Unfortunately, the two books I am currently reading are not really doing anything for me.  I need to make better choices, obviously.

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

My book club read Harold Fry last spring and I really enjoyed it!

xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...