Thursday, November 7, 2013

Halloween 2013

I know.  Halloween was so last week, but I have never been accused of being cutting edge.

Last year, Finn found Halloween pretty terrifying even though all we did was dress up one afternoon (in the daylight!) and walked around a downtown area trick-or-treating at shops.  I was about to write it off this year, thinking that it would be too frightening again, especially in light of recent diagnoses, but Finn surprised me by being excited to dress up.  Prime example of why you should never make any assumptions about your children.

Luckily, we had the costume on hand from my sister, and a friend hooked me up last minute with a hat.  Outfit complete!  Finn showed no hesitation in ringing doorbells and saying trick-or-treat.  He also melted my heart by saying,  "thank you" and "bye-bye" oh so sweetly, complete with hand waving.  Cuteness overload.

I have mentioned before that I dread Halloween.  I just don't like the stress of having to dress myself or the kids up.  I haven't even wanted to handout Halloween candy to the neighborhood kids.  We have spent the past few years turning off the lights and laying low, like the Halloween version of Ebenezer Scrooge.  However, the sheer joy and fun Finn experienced walking door to door and getting candy?  That might have won me over to the dark side.    In fact, I was getting seriously annoyed at all the dark houses in our neighborhood.  "What gives!" I thought.  My son was so eager to find houses at which he could ring the doorbell, and they were few and far between.  The irony that our house was dark and unoccupied did not escape my notice.  I have since resolved to mend my ways.  Next year, I will buy candy and have a lit doorway.

This year was also extra fun since Grandma and Grandpa were visiting and could join us in the holiday celebrations--which, you know, consisted of going to the pumpkin patch for the second time and trick-or-treating, so nothing too elaborate.  (This is me we are talking about, now.)

 

My Fireman

My Fuzzy Chicken

Family Trick-or-Treating

More photos of our fall festivities can me found here.

1 comment:

Lu Emerson said...

I had no idea you had a blog- I love it! I will be happy to follow you as we are walking somewhat similar paths. Our path includes much more junk food;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...