Monday, October 21, 2013

5 newish recipes that I will make again

I am not up to cataloging a whole month's worth of recipes, especially as so many of the meals are repeats, but I did want to highlight some new recipes I have tried that have been deemed repeatable.

Chickpea Salad with Roasted Carrots and Feta-- I passed this recipe by when I first encountered it for no explainable reason.  Perhaps it seemed too orange at the time, and I wasn't in the mood for orange. However when another blogger mentioned on twitter that she was going to make it, I decided that I would give it a second glance.  I must be shallow like that--such a follower, never a leader.  It comes together pretty quickly--another reason to love it.  I sub out the cider vinegar and use lemon juice instead.  This makes me incredibly happy but brings much sorrow to Mr. F.  

Mac and Cheese with Carrots--This is my favorite Mac and Cheese to date.  Sometimes, my mind will flirt with the idea of making different recipes, but then questions, "why?  This one is so good."  I can remain pretty faithful once I have found a good thing.  FYI: This is not your creamy stove top version.  This is a baked custard mac and cheese.  Just so you know.

Tex Mex Enchilada Casserole--Can you have too many Tex Mex dishes?  I don't think so.  This is just good food.  We don't use corn tortillas because of Mr. F's allergy.  Instead, I take 10 of the gluten-free flour tortillas and follow the instructions.  Works great.

Salisbury Steak--So, for a while there, I was watching Foyle's War pretty obsessively while I nursed Enna to sleep at night.  The show also brought to mind another television program: 1940's House.  I started thinking about food rationing and types of food eaten during that time period, and the next thing I know, I am looking up recipes for Salisbury steak.  I chose this one since it seemed authentic with the added bonus of not containing mushrooms.  (Not a fan.)  Next time, I will probably forego the addition of rice.  Or perhaps swap it with oatmeal instead.

Thai Green Curry Meatballs--This is another recipe that had to make the rounds before I decided to try it.  The clincher was when Mel took out the mushrooms called for in the original recipe.  After that, I figured there was nothing stopping me from giving these a whirl.  I cannot stomach fish sauce unless I am eating at an actual Thai restaurant, so I use soy sauce instead like a heathen.  Pay attention to the note regarding differences among green curry paste.  If you have young kids with highly sensitive spice radars, the only curry acceptable (which means it has been completely bastardized) is Thai Kitchen.  

1 comment:

heidikins said...

I actually really love that first carrot salad, I make it every few weeks. :)

xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...