Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chocolate Chip Scones, Gluten-Free

Nursing has made me super snack-y.  I need a little something, something to eat right before bed to tide me over, or else I wake up in the middle of the night starving.  For the past month or so, my snack was granola, but I noticed that it was making me and Enna a bit.......gassy.  Like, perhaps too gassy.  After abstaining from the gas-inducing granola for the past few nights, little girl seems much more happy and comfortable.  (And yeah, I guess I do too.)

But the granola needs to be replaced with something, right?  Cue these super easy scones from Annie's Eats.  They come together in one bowl, and as she says in her post, the likelihood of you having all the ingredients on hand is high.  (Other people might not have cream regularly on hand, but we consume it on a consistent basis around here--every morning, if we have baked oatmeal for breakfast.  I am crazy decadent like that.)

They aren't super sweet, and are even less so when you replace by volume the sugar with sucanat.  (Sucanat being lighter and less compact than white or brown sugar.)  This makes me feel virtuous.  I also decrease the chocolate too and use bittersweet (70% is to be preferred).  If these changes are too crazy for you, just follow the original recipe.

I always substitute my gluten-free flour by weight, using 4.5 ounces per cup.  It works that way.

DSC_2398


Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Scones
(adapted from Annie's Eats)

6.6 ounces all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use this one)
0.7 ounces almond flour
1/4 cup sucanat
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
3/4 tsp guar gum
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup cream

Preheat oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.  Combine the flours, sucanat, baking powder, salt, and guar gum.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Add in the cream until a dough starts to form.  Knead with your hands to ensure even mixing.  (I found the dough a bit crumbly until I kneaded it together.)

Using a large scoop or spoon, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.  Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.  (Mine were done at 15.)

Notes:  I might try increasing the almond flour to 20% of the total amount (1.4 ounces) and see what happens. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...