Thursday, December 13, 2012

November Dinners


Hey, it is almost the middle of December, but let's forget about that and talk about what I ate the month of November, o.k.?  It is not like it's going to matter too much anyway.  There is nothing seasonal in November that isn't available in December too.


White broccoli pizza.  A repeat.  So good.  So yummy.

Pot roast and mashed sweet potatoes.  My go to pot roast recipe, and I really love these sweet potatoes.  Not too sweet.  Recipes at the end.

Spicy honey-brushed chicken thighs.  Another family staple that is in regular rotation.  Finn thinks it is too spicy though so we always need to wash off his chicken pieces.

Baked potato soup.  I am not a huge fan of baked potato soups, but we had a lot of potatoes, and I was trying to be thrifty.  I really liked this recipe.  Loved the garlic.  Found out that bacon here is a must, and although GAPS has pretty much ruined my love of bacon, I did enjoy it in this soup.

Meatballs with cream sauce.  These were......o.k.  I didn't really love them.  Perhaps that thyme was too strong?  Don't know how much I will repeat this one, but I am not throwing it out all together.

Soft tacos with carnitas.  I thank Pete of No Gluten, No problem for developing these gf tortillas.  Although they are a process to make (not hard, but just time), it is so nice to have a tortilla option again.  (Mr. F. is allergic to corn so those are out.)
  
Southwestern falafel.  A family staple and in pretty regular rotation.
Cashew chicken.  This was good....but gave me a headache afterwards.  I wouldn't bother adding the sugar next time.  And I don't know how much our family can handle soy these days--even fermented.

Ham fried rice

Roast chicken with carrot sauce.  A classic Sunday recipe.  We discovered the magic of the carrot sauce while on gaps.  You roast a whole lot of carrots with the chicken (adding in some onions too), and then puree it with some chicken broth at the end to make a carrot gravy of sorts.  Very tasty.  You add as much broth to make it the consistency you want.

Cauliflower crust pizza.  This was o.k. I guess if you aren't expecting pizza.  However, the whole time I was sort of annoyed because it wasn't a pizza crust.

Greek pastitsio.  A repeat.  And one that really gives me heartburn.  Blasted pregnancy.

Lentil soup.  I halve this recipe because it makes a ton.  My go to lentil soup recipe.  I don't add the red wine vinegar at the end though.

Salisbury steak.  A sort of made up recipe reminiscent of a family classic.  Fried hamburgers covered in a pureed mushroom onion sauce.  I have discovered that I don't mind the taste of mushrooms, just the texture.  So, we puree them nice and smooth after they have been sauteed with some onions--adding a bit of beef broth until the consistency is good.

Quiche loraine.  This is a repeat from previous months.  I actually had sour cream, so I followed more closely the Smitten Kitchen recipe vs. Simply Recipes.

Chicken plov.  Plov is a dish that I had in Ukraine that I loved.  It is basically a rice pilaf with meat and garlic added.  I added about a head of unpeeled garlic to the rice as it cooked as the plov I remember eating had garlic added.  That was key, I think.  It really added to the over all flavor of the dish.  And because we down buy ketchup these days, I substituted tomato paste.

Simple Pot Roast
By: CooksIllustrated.com

Ingredients:

1 chuck-eye roast (about 3 1/2 pounds), boneless
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped medium
1 small carrot, chopped medium
1 small rib celery, chopped medium
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup dry red wine

Directions:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Thoroughly pat roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Brown roast thoroughly on all sides, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer roast to large plate; set aside. Reduce heat to medium; add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and sugar; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and beef broths and thyme, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Return roast and any accumulated juices to pot; add enough water to come halfway up sides of roast. Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat, then place large piece of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid; transfer pot to oven. Cook, turning roast every 30 minutes, until fully tender and meat fork or sharp knife easily slips in and out of meat, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.


Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Recipe By: CooksIllustrated.com

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 2 large or 3 medium-small potatoes), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
pinch ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in 3 to 4 quart saucepan; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork, 35 to 45 minutes.

2. Off heat, mash sweet potatoes in saucepan with potato masher, or transfer mixture to hopper of food mill and process into warmed serving bowl. Stir in pepper; serve immediately.




1 comment:

Jaimee said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are enjoying your meal calendars and getting some new inspiration from them. So thanks for posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...