Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September Dinners


White Broccoli Pizza.  Pizza is one of those dishes (like salads, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.) where I don't think I need a recipe, but if I use one, the dish always turns out much better than if I had just winged it.  This time I used a recipe (vs. last month where I just made something up.)  It was very tasty.  Instead of spinach, I used arugula because I could get that at the farmers market, and I prefer it.  The extra white sauce came in handy when I needed a quick lunch.  I heated up some GF pasta, added the sauce and some frozen peas.  Instant Alfredo.

Spaghetti Pie.  A family staple. 

Creamy Vegetable Soup.  I made this up based on a couple of different recipes that I found around the internet.  It was fairly tasty, but probably not amazing, so I am not going to type it up.  If you are interested, send me and email, and I will send it to you.

Risotto Primavera.  I feel sort of traitorous in saying that I didn't love the goat cheese in this.  In fact, I would have preferred plain mozzarella.  I did love that it was full of vegetables.  

Mexican Chicken Salad with Tomato and Black Bean Salsa.  I loved this salad, but my family did not.  At first this made me very sad, but I got over it and enjoyed eating up the leftovers.  I especially loved the creamy avocado dressing, the very same one my husband despised.  Sometimes I don't understand him.  Supposedly I am the picky eater in the family, yet his "food preferences" far outnumber the foods that I refuse to eat. 

Lemon Chicken Breast.  Yum, yum, and yum.  When Ina is on, she is on.  You would think that 9 cloves of garlic and two lemons would be excessive, but trust her on this.  It isn't.  It is also super easy.  We used bone-in chicken breasts which just meant cooking a little bit longer. 

Creamy Spinach and Avocado Pasta.  Just mentioning this dish makes me feel a bit ill to my stomach.  It was o.k.  But the leftovers were unpalatable.  And I am sorry, I have no use for recipes that make crap leftovers. 

Lentil Soup.  Meh.  I think there are better lentil soup recipes out there.  The addition of Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar at the end really created a strong flavor that I didn't really like. 

Taco Salad.  Exactly that.  Nothing special.

Beef Stew.  O.k. I am not exactly sure which beef stew recipe Mr. F. fixed.  Probably a Cooks Illustrated one and similar to the one I linked.  Mr. F. has a beef stew fetish. 

Stove top Macaroni and Cheese.  This is a nice, quick macaroni and cheese when you don't want a box but you don't want a baked version.  We like it. 

Ham Fried Rice.  A repeat from last month.  Mr. F. had some potential late nights at work, so I needed some easy meals to fix. 

Creamy Wild Rice Soup.  This was good, but it fixed more than I wanted to eat.  I guess I could have frozen it.  Next time, I will probably halve it, or plan on freezing it.  I found that I got less excited about it, the more I had to eat it.  Instead of smoked turkey, I just used leftover cooked chicken.

Red Lentil Rice Cakes.  I ate this over arugula to make it a glorified salad, and I really liked it that way. 

Buttermilk Roast Chicken with Coleslaw.  This was tasty chicken.  We used a whole chicken that we quartered, knowing that the dark meat would finish earlier than the breasts.  We also marinated it overnight vs. the few hours that it called for.  The coleslaw was nice surprise.  I am not a huge fan, but I really liked this.

Ground Beef Chili.  Mr. F. always go on about how chili needs to be from stew meat and contain actual chilies, etc.  Blah, blah, blah.  I just want something that is pretty easy and straight forward and speaks to my gringo childhood.  This is it.  

Penne with Golden Zucchini.  This is a recipe from the book A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen.  I haven't made a whole lot from it, but this is one that I have made before and liked.  It calls for sauteing the zucchini in a lot of garlic and then adding cream.  You can't really go wrong with cream in a recipe, I feel.

Thai Coconut Cilantro Chicken.  This is a recipe from Artisinal Gluten-Free Cooking.  It was pretty good.  Nothing absolutely life changing though, so I won't take the time to type it out.  We served it over quinoa. 

Chicken and Dumplings.  A repeat from last month. 

And just to clarify, in case you somehow believe I actually have my act together, I don't plan a month in advance.  I plan the menus a week at a time.  I have just started recently recording them in Google Calendar so that I can be inspired by past dinners, and not have to reinvent the wheel every week.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...