Monday, October 1, 2012

19 Weeks Plus


So here I am at 19 weeks.....about 2 weeks ago.  I thought I was showing earlier this pregnancy, but that doesn't seem to be the case when looking at the side by side comparison.

We had our ultrasound at 18.5 weeks.  We found out that we are having a girl!  I had convinced myself that we would have another boy.  I based this strictly on non-scientific mumbo jumbo regarding ovulation time, date of conception and the supposed difference between boy sperm and girl sperm swimming speed.  Needless to say, it was incorrect.  Unlike last time, I was not crushed to find out that I was wrong.  (So sorry Finn.  You are such a sweet boy.  I should not have been worried.)  I went into this appointment confident that the child (regardless of sex) would be the one meant for our family.  Interestingly, I told Finn that morning we were going to the doctor's to see if the baby was going to be a girl or a boy.  He said that it was going to be a girl baby.  When I explained that it could be either, he continued to respond that it would be a girl.  I am glad that he was right.

This time I only had to drink 16 ounces of water and hold it an hour (vs. 32 ounces and holding it for 2 hours).  This should have been a walk in the park right?  No.  No it wasn't.  My bladder control since giving birth to a child with a head circumference in the 99th percentile apparently is non-existent.  I have become a mom-cliche.  Luckily, I made it through the first part of the appointment without peeing my pants.  (Although I did ask the ultrasound technician to tell me at the first opportunity when I could use the bathroom.)   

And so we are now brainstorming girl names.  Luckily, I made a list of possible girl names last pregnancy, and I am pleasantly surprised to find that I like most of them still.  A number of them fit my crazy criteria: can't be found in the top 1000 names of the last 20 years or so, has to sound like a plausible name, and is not spelled weird.  Finn's real name fits that criteria, and I want a matching girl's name.  If you think you have a name that fits, by all means, leave it in the comments.  I am always on the lookout for more. 

In other news, Finn continues to not nap.  (And no.  He doesn't understand the concept of "quiet time in his room" because he doesn't understand the concept of "independent play" or being in another room as the one I am currently occupying).  Finding activities to keep us occupied the entire day while also keeping my sanity in check is difficult.  Finn also has had a cold this past week, so we have been stuck at home while not napping.  Yes, I have given in and let him watch animated books and Baby Einstein videos.  Sue me.  I fail at my lofty pre-parent goal of No Screen Time Under Any Circumstances.  I comfort my conscience by telling myself that it is better than letting him watch random kids shows on television, but who am I kidding?
 
At times like these, I try not to think about adding another child to the mix since I am barely holding it together with one. 


3 comments:

Jaimee said...

Carefully selected TV shows are better than random stuff on TV b/c you are not exposing him to commercials or potentially inappropriate content for his age. Please be gentle with yourself. We all need breaks and studies have shown it is not so much the TV itself as the lack of other stimulating activities in kids' lives that is the true culprit and Finn has plenty of stimulating stuff in his life. No worries there.

As for a second child... well, sure it will be hard for a while, it's pretty much double the work. BUT, there comes that magical time where they start to entertain each other and life is actually easier with two than with just one. Plus, you've been there, done that with Finn so many parenting challenges become easier and less fraught with uncertainty. Cloth diapering? Got it down! Babywearing? No problem? Starting solids? Easy. First injury? Been there. Teething? Oh yes, I already know. And sleep deprivation? To be expected and understood.

Don't worry, mama, you've got this.

Carol said...

I'm so excited that you're having a girl! (I've been checking back incessantly to find out...even though there haven't been any new posts listed.)

You will do a wonderful job with two. Sure there will be new challenges, but that would be the case even if Finn was an only. You're both thoughtful, present, loving parents. What a lucky baby! (and I'm sure Finn will love his sister)

Speaking of which, what fun that he had decided it was a girl! That's a story you can hold on to and tell him when they're both older. They'll love it!

Janssen said...

hooray for girls!

Sorry about the lack of naps - that is SO rough.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...