Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Nap Dilema

Say it isn't so.   Please say my son isn't all ready to give up his nap.  I hear about three and four year-olds taking naps.  Why can't my son be numbered along with them?

We have reached the No Man's Land of naps.  The place where, as a parent, you have to decide between two evils.  Do you:

1) persist in putting your child down for a nap, knowing that when bedtime comes around you will be stuck with a nighttime nightmare?  Your child will fight sleep for a few hours (of which you have to be present in said bedroom to help child fall asleep) before he succumbs to the sweet sensation at 9:30 or 10.  (Last night it was 10:30!!!!) 

OR

 2) skip naps altogether, loosing the two hours of Blissful Peace that are THE ONLY HOURS you have to yourself and deal with the two-hour window of Hell later that evening where Every Single Thing sets your child off into a hysterical fit?  The upside to this scenario is that said child will fall asleep within 5 minutes at the lovely hour of 7:30.  

I can't decide which is worse, which is why naps have become an every other day phenomenon at here at the Manor.  The third possibility is that I limit naps to only an hour, but then I just feel like Evil Mommy when he wakes up so grumpy and obviously still tired.  And there is no data to suggest bedtime will be easier.  There just are No Good Options. 

The ideal situation would involve 1) having a child who actually slept well.  Then my child would actually nap AND fall asleep at a decent time.  You know, like all the children of my peers.  I blame Mr. F.'s bad sleep genes.  He better not be passing those on to baby No. 2. 

4 comments:

Melanie said...

What about just telling Finn that it's quiet time. He doesn't have to sleep, but he does need to read books or play quietly in his room by himself.

Obviously I've never had kids, so I don't know how well this works, but I've heard of other families doing it.

Jaimee said...

Yep, we're here, too. We chose no nap. While it is a looooong day, it is nice to be able to do things in the early evening and when baby comes, you're going to be dealing with him/her and will not want the responsibility of putting two kiddos to bed every evening. And honestly, I had forgotten how freeing it is to give up a nap and realize you can go places and not worry about being home for the nap. We were having tantrums in the late afternoon with or without nap, so away it went. Now I have to reorganize my mind and my schedule to fall into a routine that entertains Austin all afternoon long- especially now that Avalon is in school. Sigh...

Jaimee said...

Oh, and hats off to any parents that manage to accomplish "quiet time." That has never worked for my kids. Avalon would look at books only if she chose to do it herself, not if I imposed a time to do so and Austin will put himself to sleep if I enforce time in his room and there goes bedtime all over again...

Lady Susan said...

Melanie,

I have heard of this mythical quiet time too. I haven't figured out how that actually works. I think your child needs to be comfortable in being alone in room other than the one the parent occupies. We have yet to reach that state of zen. Perhaps when we are older quiet time might be a possibility.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...