Monday, August 27, 2012

The Nap Dilema: Part 2

It was the sort of day that did not bode well.  He had gone to bed late the night before (9:40 pm) because he took a nap in the afternoon, woke up at his normal time (7:30 am), and was all around cranky.  I didn't want to put him down for a nap (and thus repeat the previous nights misery), but I didn't want to deal with Mr. Fussypants for the rest of the day either. 

So, I tried the "short nap."  This is me trying to wake him after an hour.  I open the door, I push away the curtains and raise the blackout blinds, throw off the covers, and.........nothing.  "Well," I think, "since I have some decent light, I might as well take some sleeping boy pictures while I wait for him to wake up."

DSC_1022

The clicking of the camera causes him to stir:

DSC_1025

But he is back asleep, quick as a wink:

DSC_1036


DSC_1029

I decide he needs some assistance.  I gently nudge him awake.  He never wakes up happy:

DSC_1040

He wants to go back to bed:

DSC_1042

Really mom?  You need to wake me up?  I am still so sleepy!

DSC_1043

Bleary-eyed:

DSC_1044

And of course some post-nap grooming:

DSC_1046

So, I am quite pleased by the "short nap" solution.  We waited a little bit longer to start the bedtime routine (8 pm), and he was asleep in under an hour.  Not quite the wonderful "15 minutes-to-sleep" result on no nap days, but much better than the "1 1/2 -2 hours-to-sleep" on days where he takes a normal nap. 

2 comments:

Jaimee said...

Yeah, tried this and it lead to just as much fussing as if he'd had no nap at all and caused the resurgence of night waking. Therefore the short nap got vetoed. Glad it's working for you guys though!

Kari said...

I love the pictures! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...