Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A bit of an explanation

You might as well know.  I am currently gestating child No. 2 and am 11 1/2 weeks along.  I came into this pregnancy wildly optimistic that I would not experience any morning sickness at all, because I was starting the off with such great footing, nutritionally speaking.

Please excuse me while I pee my pants laughing at my naivety.

For the first week or so, I did feel great, but that is no great feat since it takes a while for those pesky pregnancy hormones to start rapping up to great heights.  And then I fell.  I fell hard from my lofty pregnancy goals of which I have no control.  This first trimester has been wretched.  I experienced "morning" sickness my last pregnancy too, along with strong food aversions, but it is worse this time.  So much so that, although I love the thought of having three kids, I might just settle for two.  At this stage, when I am still very much in the trenches, going through this a third time sounds pretty much impossible.

After spending an extended weekend lying more or less prone on the couch crippled with extreme nausea, I caved and called the midwife asking for some chemical remedies.  (Pills.  I wanted pills).  I started with 1/2 a pill of unisom and 50mg of B6 twice a day (morning and evening).  The result was wonderful.  I was able to function again.  However, I should clarify that by function, I really mean just get off the couch and perhaps drag Finn and I to a couple of places.  Unisom does have a rather sedative effect.  (Shocking, I know since it is a sleeping pill).  And although I am glad not to be nauseous, I am not really glad about being a walking zombie.  (And Mr. F. doesn't appreciate it either as I make really crap conversation and basically can't function beyond what is absolutely necessary).  So, on talking to the midwife today, I decided to give Zofran a go.  I just took my first pill, so I can't really comment yet on whether my life will significantly improve, but I am hopeful.

Yeah, I used to be such a purist.  "I don't want to take any medication during pregnancy...yada yada yada." But that is only because I didn't feel the pain.  I am singing a different tune this pregnancy.  My goal is to survive.  And perhaps still take reasonable care of my current child.  

This explains the lack of photography as well.  I tried to take some pictures of some paint swatches the other night, and all I got were blurry shots.  In my sedated state, it was entirely too complicated to switch from manual to auto focus.  I will not be handling expensive equipment until I am confident I am completely rational.  (I will probably have to rely on Mr. F. to give me the o.k.  Because am I ever completely rational?  I don't know).

Today was our first midwife appointment.  We had an ultrasound and was able to see the tyke bob around and listen to his/her heartbeat (160 bpm).  We brought Finn with us, and when asked he will say that the baby said "vrum vrum vrum."  It is cute.  I am sure he has no concept, but still, it is cute.   
 

3 comments:

Jaimee said...

I feel your pain! I WISH I was one of those that could handle pregnancy well, but nope. Pregnancies one and two were pretty awful and I resorted to unisom with both. Number three, actually, wasn't that bad and b/c I was breastfeeding still I didn't let myself take anything and I could still function. So there is hope for #3 if you still want another! Old wives would say this must mean you're having a girl. :)

Janssen said...

Good luck! Hope it passes quickly!

MBC said...

Congratulations! Hope you feel better soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...