Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Grain-Free Strawberry Cinnamon Muffins (GAPS)

A couple of months ago, Janssen posted a recipe for Strawberry Cinnamon Bread, and then it seemed like the whole internet was making it.  (Or perhaps just a handful).  In either case, I felt left out.  I mean, I have an obsession for quick breads and strawberries and to combine the two?  That is just cruel and unusual punishment.  So, I did what I had to do.  I converted the recipe so that I wouldn't feel so deprived.

This year's strawberry season has been out of control, in a good way.  It started early than usual in April and just kept on going. (Although I think it has now ended--sob!).  I won't tell you how many strawberries I have picked and stuffed in my maw.  It is indecent.  I also found that Finn really enjoys walking around the strawberry fields and picking berries (ripe or not).  This made a really nice activity for us to do in the mornings.  I could go pick unholy amounts of berries while my son pretty much entertained himself.  (Shocking!)  Win win.

Mmmm.  Strawberries.


I am a muffin girl, not a quick bread in a loaf girl.  I like my treats to be individually packaged into reasonable portions, not to mention that muffins are easier to freeze.  I have made four batches of these muffins so far.  The first batch, I only changed the flours and the sweetener, keeping everything else more or less the same.  And although they were good, I thought that the texture could be improved by upping the amount of coconut flour and adding an extra egg for lift.  Those changes made for an awesome muffin.  Here is the final recipe.

Strawberry Cinnamon Muffins 2



Strawberry Cinnamon Muffins

2 ounces Coconut Flour
5.5 ounces Almond Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine these and whisk in a bowl.

3 eggs
2.6 ounces (1/3 cup) kefir (or yogurt or buttermilk or whatever)
2.5 ounces (1/3 cup) coconut oil (or butter, or other oil--coconut doesn't burn though like butter)
3 ounces honey*

Combine in another bowl and then mix with the dry ingredients above.

1 cup strawberries, small diced

Fold the strawberries into the batter.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until done.  Makes about 12 muffins. 

*this amount of honey is about 1/4 of a cup.  This was just sweet enough. This amount was determined when using super sweet, ripe fresh strawberries.  If using frozen strawberries, I might want to increase this a little bit.  I don't know.   

1 comment:

Janssen said...

You are amazing! I'm seriously impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...