Monday, May 14, 2012

GAPS German Apple Pancake

Breakfast on GAPS can be hard, and it is easy to get into a food rut.  It didn't take me long to get really tired of eating eggs.  Sure, I tried to mix it up by how I cooked eggs, but they were still eggs.   And no matter how many times I hear it, I just can't eat savory foods for breakfast.  (The Intro diet was the exception, and I pretty much hated it.)  Dinner leftovers have no appeal to me at 7 o'clock in the morning.

I was nearing the end of the Intro diet, when I had a flash of breakfast inspiration--to adapt a family German Apple Pancake recipe.  It was a huge success and I have made variations on the theme for weeks now.  Is it as good as the glutenous original?  Probably not.  But beggars can't be choosers, and I think it makes a decent substitution.  It is certainly better than some of the other GAPS recipes I have tried of late.  The amount of sweetness is entirely up to you.  I vary it every time depending on the mood I am in.


German Apple Pancake GAPS friendly



GAPS German Apple Pancake

Fruit Filling

6 tablespoons butter
2 apples
honey to taste (I drizzle a spoonful or two)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a 9 x 13 pan, brush melter butter over bottom and sides.  Spread apple slices evenly in pan.  Sprinkle with spices.

Batter

6 extra large or 7 large eggs
5 ounces blanched almond flour (or 1 once coconut flour and 4 ounces almond flour)
honey/date paste to taste (I have used 2T date paste or 2 spoonfuls of honey)
pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 cups kefir/yogurt/coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons of butter melted
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Blend together all ingredients together with a whisk or an immersion blender.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Turn off the oven and let sit for another 5 minutes until it is set in the middle.

I have used other fruits with success as well: frozen berries, fresh strawberries.  If your fruit is rather juicy, I would suggest adding a bit of coconut flour to the batter to help absorb some of the excess liquid. 

1 comment:

Carole said...

Great post. I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this apple recipe in my Food on Friday Series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...