Friday, April 6, 2012

52 Pics: Pink

The obvious choice for the topic this week would be to take a picture of one of the blooming trees or flowers that are abundant this time of year.  However, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out and about and play around with my camera with a toddler in tow.  (Although, I was able to get a couple of shots of a flowering cherry tree).  Instead, I started looking around our house to see what would fit the bill.

I stumbled upon our Himalayan pink sea salt.  We have made the switch from using regular, iodized salt to sea salt with no additives or "anti-caking agents."  It also contains a large number of trace minerals.  I know a lot of people prefer Celtic sea salt, but the Himalayan was cheaper.  As you can see, it does occasionally cake, but I have not found it to be an inconvenience.  I secretly (or not so secretly) love that our salt is pink.  I also not so secretly desire some Hawaiian Red Sea Salt so that I can use red salt in our cooking.  Or maybe just to look at.

DSC_1415



Here it is in its natural habitat: our cupboard.  It isn't nearly so glamorous looking.

DSC_1400

I also love the idea that Finn will grow up knowing that salt can be lots of different colors.  That kid is going to have some odd food knowledge, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Jaimee said...

We use Himalayan pink salt as well, but we buy the coarse salt (bulk from Frontier) and put it in a grinder (from Frontier or Trader Joes). And just to let you know, Frontier also sells Hawaiian red salt... $6.90 for a pound. Just one of the other many reasons to start a buying club in your area... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...