Friday, April 27, 2012

52 Pics: Candy

Pre-GAPS, my favorite candy would include Snickers Dark, Peanut M&Ms and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Other favorites of my childhood include: sour patch kids, cinnamon bears, hard peppermint candies (which I would grab by the handful at restaurants causing extreme embarrassment to my mother), Starbursts, and mint peppermint patties.  However, even pre-GAPS, I noticed that I couldn't really indulge in any of these to often without feeling rather sick.  This became more apparent as we further decreased the amount of sugar and changed the type of sweeteners that we used.

Now my candy consists of dried fruit.  It is kind of insane how quickly we go through dates around these parts.  It is hard to find plain, unsweetened, un-sulfured,  dried fruit.  The majority of dried fruit in the stores have added sugar, not to mention other additives.  We have taken to ordering ours online through Nuts.com.  (They also have certified Gluten-free items which is very nice.)  However, even Nuts.com doesn't have plain, unsweetened, dried strawberries.

I decided to preserve this year's strawberry harvest in the form of strawberry freezer jam sweetened with honey and dehydrated strawberries.  To be completely honest, I was hoping for a bit more from the dehydrated strawberries.  I wanted plumpness versus leather.  However, I don't think that a reasonable expectation from home-dried fruit in general.  On the plus side, they do have a nice concentrated strawberry flavor.  I am curious how they might perform in a baked good application where they have been slightly hydrated.  I might have to experiment with that.


Dehydrated strawberries
     


2 comments:

heidikins said...

These sound interesting. I'm intrigued.

xox

Krilafis said...

Yum. I want some.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...