Monday, November 21, 2011

Conquering Fears


For a while now, I have had a fear of making mayonnaise from scratch.

Being the sort of people who like to see if they can make all things food related from scratch just for kicks, we had already attempted this feat.  Twice.  The first time Mr. F. attempted to make mayonnaise by hand using a whisk.  It was unsuccessful and his hand fell off.  (Or close to it.)  The second try involved using a food processor.  However, we had no patience to drizzle in the oil a drop at a time, and the end result was subsequently doomed.  Needless to say, we have been gun shy ever since.

When Mr. F. went corn and soy free, it really limited our mayonnaise options.  Now, we don't eat a lot of mayonnaise, but sometimes you just want the option of a chicken salad, you know?  So, we scoured high and low and finally found ONE option that did not contain either corn and soy.  Phew!  I went and bought a few jars to have on hand.

*Cue foreboding music*

So on this new diet of ours, we are sugar (except for honey) and grain free.  I took a peak at our special mayonnaise the other day and was disapointed to find that it contained evaporated cane juice.  Blast!  That meant that if we wanted to be in full compliance we would have to resort to making our own.  Double Blast!

It turns out we are not the only GAPSters (I totally just made that up right now.  It is probably not unique) to be intimidated by the prospect of making our own mayonnaise.  However, the word on the proverbial street indicated that there was a pretty fail-proof method involving an immersion blender.  (I could wax rhapsodic about my immersion blender, but perhaps that should be saved for another post.  Thank you Yola for ours.)  There were a number of people who linked to this youtube video:



Let me tell you people. This method is AMAZING.  It works, and it is super easy and fast.  If I knew it was this easy, I would be making mayonnaise from scratch years ago*.  I feel so strongly about this that I am devoting an ENTIRE POST to it.  (Or maybe it is because I have nothing else of import to write about.)  Whatever, go forth and make mayonnaise!



*I did not actually use the recipe in this video.  I pieced together something else using a couple of different sources.  You do want to use a neutral oil unless you know you really dig something stronger like olive, etc.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...