Thursday, June 9, 2011

CSA Madness

We are trying out a new CSA this year.  It is new for us as well as being new for the farmer.  So far, we have been much happier.  The diversity has been great--nothing like the winter CSA of two years ago were we got 10 pounds of turnips for weeks and weeks.  (Oh, and guess what?  I appears that I don't really like turnips.)

We are, however, up to our eyeballs in fresh produce that needs to be used up in a timely manner which causes me a lot of stress when the time rolls around to plan the menu for the week.  Each week we get a huge abundance of something, and it always makes me think "I sure hope we don't get the same amount of [insert seasonal item] next week because I have completely run out of good ideas."  Luckily, each week brings an abundance of something new, and I haven't had to repeat myself too much.  (I may have spoken too soon.  The last two weeks have showered us with summer squash and beets.)

The Week of the Lettuce
-Salad, lots of obviously.
-Lettuce Pesto which has the added bonus of freezing well.  Score.  (Oh, and we added a cup of almonds to this recipe with great results.  We made it both Romaine and Butter leaf.  And both were quite tasty.
-Lettuce and Pea Soup.

The Week of the Asparagus and Green Onions
-Green Onion, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese Quiche
-Green Onion Risotto.
-Shaved Asparagus Pizza

The Week of the Strawberries
-Strawberry Mascarpone Tart on a Chocolate Shortbread Crust (compiled from multiple recipes).
-Strawberry Smooch (a water bath canned strawberry sauce sweetened with maple syrup)

The Week of the Kale and the Cauliflower
-Kale and Cheddar Frittata
-Lentil, Kale, and Bacon Soup
-Pickled Cauliflower

The Week of the Cabbage and Squash
-Double Squash Gratin
-Roast Chicken and Braised Cabbage
-Ukrainian Borscht (adapted from here)--Meat and bones from our cow, cabbage and beets from our CSA.  All we had to buy were carrots and potatoes.  I felt particularly awesome in my thriftiness.

And More Squash and Beets
-Baked Squash Fritters
-Sausage, Squash, and Goat Cheese over Quinoa (adapted from this recipe)
-16 cups of grated squash now taking up residence in our freezer to be used in whatever culinary flights of fancy I might have.  (Like these zucchini chocolate chip cookies from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.)

The beets are Mr. F.'s domain.  I only like beets in borscht where you can't really taste them.  We might pickle some.  Any other ideas?

And these are only the main components of the box.  I think I have 3 dozen eggs in my fridge looking for employment as well as a couple heads of broccoli, a dozen tomatoes, and two daikon radishes.  Hoo boy.

It is a good think though that we have all this produce.  Mr. F. recently tested positive for corn and soy allergies so we are eliminating those two ingredients (found in every possible packaged item imaginable) for at least the near future to determine their severity.  This in addition to my celiac makes meal planning and grocery shopping an Absolute Joy.  Also, I had the unspecific goal of wanting to "preserve more this summer."  Check.  I think I have already succeeded, and we are only two months in.     

3 comments:

Janssen said...

I'm planning to make these beet muffins sometime this week.

Janssen said...

Um, right, a link: http://farmshareeating.blogspot.com/2010/03/sweet-beet-muffins.html

I'll let you know how they are.

Ange said...

Hey we have done a food co-op for a couple of years here and it's so great. We get 30lbs. of fresh fruit and veggies each week. My friend just taught me something so simple, but I had never thought of it...dehydrate, and freeze the extras. Or can it, if there is enough. Grabbing a cup of chopped onions from the freezer has saved me so much time..and cuts down on my food waste!! Hope that helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...