Thursday, May 19, 2011

My conversation skills seem to be lacking

I wish I was one of those zen-mamas who is all like, "my child will eat/sleep/walk/talk whenever they are ready oohhhmmm" while maintaining outward calm and inward serenity.  But I am not.  I worry.  I fret.  And I endlessly discuss the matter with Mr. F., much to his chagrin.  

Lately, Finn has been taking forever to go to sleep.  Last night he crashed at 9--two and a half hours after I started the whole rocking and nursing to sleep bit.  An hour of that was frolicking in his bed while I listened to his coos and giggles over the monitor.  While Mr. F. chuckles away at his son's antics, I tense with stress and frustration.

Lady Susan: Why won't he sleep?  He was tired!  He was on the verge of sleep so many times!
Mr. F.: I don't know what to tell you.  Falling asleep is hard
(this from a person who seems incapable of sleep as well).
Lady Susan: Falling asleep is NOT hard.  You two just don't try sufficiently!

Repeat this conversation every night for the past couple of weeks.

And it isn't just the sleep.  Finn also doesn't seem extremely interested in solid foods.  I had to laugh (and then cry) when I saw the below menu plan for a one year old child who weights approximately 21 pounds: 
 
Breakfast
1/2 cup iron fortified breakfast cereal or 1 cooked egg
1/4 - 1/2 cup whole milk
Fruit can be added to cereal or on its own
1/2 banana, sliced
2-3 large strawberries
 
Snack
1 slice toast or whole wheat muffin with  1-2 T cream cheese or yogurt with cut up fruit
1/2 c whole milk
 
Lunch
1/2 sandwich sliced turkey or chicken, tuna, egg salad
1/2 c. cooked green vegetables
1/2 cup whole milk
 
Snack
1-2 ounces cubed or string cheese or 2-3 T fruit or berries
1 c whole milk
 
Dinner
2-3 ounces cooked meat, ground or diced
1/2 cup cooked yellow or orange vegetables
1/2 cup rice, pasta or potato
1/2 cup whole milk
 
Finn's menu looks like this on a good day.  (It does not include any nursing sessions of which there are many):
Breakfast
1/2 buttered slice of gluten-free bread OR a handful of gluten-free O's.
perhaps two small spoonfuls of yogurt.

Snack
1 pretzel piece
a few freeze dried fruit peices

Lunch (if we even get it)
2 small spoonfuls of refried beans maybe with some chopped broccoli added in
some cheese pieces (five or six small squares)

Snack
a few bites of whatever.

Dinner
a few small spoonfuls of hummus with some quinoa.
a teeny taste of some meat
a small broccoli floret (half of which might end up on the floor at some point in time.)

Of course I have been worried.  To add to all of this, Finn got a mysterious light rash on his elbow creases and chest which I suspect is food related, so we have cut back to feeding items really low on the allergy scale (which seems to preclude most the fruit we have available).  
 
So, I might have expressed this concern a couple (four, perhaps a dozen times) yesterday to Mr. F.   It got to the point that Mr. F. might have mentioned that he was no longer interested in said conversation since it seemed to him overly repetitious, and I might have had my feelings hurt because after all, I am just trying to take care of my son and how am I supposed to do that when he refuses to eat and sleep

I guess my conversation, like some of these blog posts, are just variations on a theme.  I must start brushing up on current events so that I have something else to talk about.


2 comments:

Jaimee said...

I, for one, enjoy your posts and do not need to see any current events mixed in! This is what moms of little ones talk about and there is no need to feel badly about it. Keep up the good work mama.

Washington Hills said...

I totally agree! And for what it's worth, that seems like a lot of food for one day for a one year old! And this is from the mother of a one year old who weighs 30 pounds. I'm just saying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...