Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Double Identity Dilemma

So, I have these two identities: my blogging persona and my real life identity.  For the most part, I like this separation.  Since my blog is public, I like to keep hugely identifying aspects of my personal life hidden.  This goes for sites associated with my blog in someway or another: Flickr, Goodreads, etc.

My real life is pretty self explanatory.  There have been times when I have introduced my real-life friends to my blog.  I like these people, and I think they would find what I write about interesting.

The problem comes with regards to Facebook.  I would say that I wouldn't mind if 90% of my friends on Facebook knew about my blog.  This makes me want to have my blog listed as part of my profile.  Also, I would like to include on my Facebook profile sites like Flickr.  People could then just check my Flickr site, and I don't have to upload pictures in both places.  (Which I don't really do because I am lazy.) 

But there is that 10%.  They are friends, but not exactly kindred spirits as Anne would say.  I am pretty sure I don't want them privy to my thoughts as written here on this blog. 

So what I am asking, in a very poor way, is for advice.  For those of you who blog, what is your philosophy?  Do you keep things discrete and separate?  Do you have everything linked to everything else?  What would you do in this situation?

4 comments:

heidikins said...

You can set your privacy settings on FB to only let certain people view your website address. That way you can have the best of both worlds and you can choose who you want to see your blog address, or your pictures, or whatever else you want to customize. :)

xox

Jaimee said...

Yes, you can block those 10% from seeing your status update when you post you blog. And/or you could block them from seeing other things on your profile in general.

Melanie said...

I was also going to suggest the FB privacy settings. I've noticed that my blog has become less and less personal over time. It's funny, I'm not as concerned about people I don't know reading personal information as I am about people I come in contact with regularly. I do have my blog URL listed on my FB page, but I also routinely go through the "defriend" people I don't have a real connection with.

Janssen said...

I don't actively talk about my blog to real-life folks, but it's out there and I know many many people I know read it. Which is all to say - I have no advice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...