Monday, October 18, 2010

What I am Eating 10/10-10/16

Sorry.  It has been a difficult couple of weeks.  But then if you follow the blog at all you might have picked up on that fact.  But without further ado, here is what we have been eating.

Penne with Creamy Golden Zucchini

This comes from "A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen."  This is a fairly new cookbook of mine, so I haven't explored it too much.  One nice aspect of this book is that the recipes are divided into seasons.  I glanced at the "Fall" section and found this little number.  The recipes are also fairly simple and straight forward.

We really liked this dish.  It is also highly adaptable.  Mr. F. said that mushrooms would be good in this.  Mr. F. obviously is under the hallucinatory effects of said mushrooms. 

6 small golden zucchini or summer squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
salt
1 pound penne
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves (we used dried.  Sue us.)
1/3 cup heavy cream (the most important ingredient in this recipe)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cut zucchini so that it is about the same size as the penne.

Cook pasta in salted water until al dente.

Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  When the foaming subsides, add the zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).  Add the garlic and oregano and cook until just fragrant (30 seconds).  Add the cream and 1/3 cup cooking water from the pasta pot.  Cook just until heated through, about 30 seconds.  Remove the sauce from the heat.

Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.  Toss the pasta and zucchini sauce, adding more cooking water as necessary to moisten the pasta.  Serve immediately, passing the grated cheese at the table.

Spinach, Red Pepper, and Feta Quiche.

This comes from "Vegetarian Classics" from Jeanne Lemlin.  I really like this quiche and make it fairly often.  I have adapted the recipe so it isn't quite how it is written in the book.

1 roasted red-bell pepper from a jar, cut to whatever size you deem decent.
5 ounces of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed mercilessly.
3 large eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
12/ cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta.

Combine everything and place into a pie pan with pie crust.  Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until it is set.  (The original recipe says 30-35 minutes.  But it is never done by then for us.)

In my pre-gluten-free days, I would just use a frozen pie crust for an easy weeknight dinner.  I didn't worry about pre-baking the pie crust.  Just filled and baked.  If you make your own pie crust, you might want to bake it before.  Now that I am gluten-free, I make a hash brown crust using the instructions found here.  I think it is quite tasty.

White Chili with Chicken

I combined two Cooking Light recipes for this one.  Nothing special.  I am sure either one would work, or you could just pick out the best parts of each like I did.  This won points in that it wasn't tomato based.  Mr. F. and his heartburn appreciated it.

Beef Bolognese over Polenta

I am always on the lookout to use my slow-cooker now that I have purchased one.  *looks sheepish*  So when I saw this recipe, I thought I would give it a go.  It was o.k.  Nothing fabulous.  I may or may not make it again.  We shall see.  I am pretty sure there are better recipes out there.

Also, I am trying to try new things now that I am gluten-free.  I haven't been too impressed with the GF pasta.  I am still trying different brands out to see which one I prefer.  It varies depending on the shape I have found.  In the meantime, I am eating natural gluten-free alternatives.  Polenta is one of those.  For the polenta recipe, I used this one.  I figured you can't go too wrong with a cup of cream cheese.  Am I right?  Yeah. 

Vegetarian Lentil Loaf

This is the second time we have made this.  It is awesome.  However, it is a lot of work; I have pawned the recipe off on Mr. F. both times now.  If you find a way to abbreviate it at all, let us know.  The sauce I think is a must.  Also, you might add more salt to taste. 

2 comments:

Washington Hills said...

Drooling over here!

Jaimee said...

The pasta sounds fabulous; we'll have to try that soon! We make a lentil loaf that is way less time consuming, but it's quite different- more bean pasty. LMK if you're interested!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...