Saturday, September 11, 2010

What I am Eating

So, my weekly menu posts have turned out to be not-so-weekly.  Honestly, I was questioning how worthwhile they were.  However, I talked to my sister the other day and she mentioned that she looked through the blog to get some ideas and actually made a couple of recipes that I had posted.  So....perhaps these aren't so pointless after all.

Sesame Brown Rice Salad with Chicken

I really like this salad.  I have been making it for a while now.  It is a great way to use up leftover chicken, or you can roast a couple of chicken breasts a la Barefoot Contessa which is what we did this last week.  It is a good main dish for the summer because it requires limited cooking.  It is also nice for a weekday meal.  I used Lundberg's brown rice blend.  I love their rice blends--so much better than your other wild rice blends that you can buy which have, like, five grains of wild rice in them.  And yes, the rice blends are more expensive, but since my food budget has been shot to hell since becoming celiac anyway.....why not add more fuel to the fire.

Pasta with Goat Cheese, Lemon, and Asparagus

Except instead of asparagus, I used broccoli.  This was a new recipe that I tried out.  Of course I was drawn to the fact that it was a lemon pasta dish with goat cheese.  Yum.  I have a weakness for lemony pasta.  It turns out that Mr. F. does not like lemon pasta.  Maybe I should have picked up on this by now, but I hadn't.  I asked him how he liked it and he said, "Meh.  It's a lemon pasta dish."  Crazy, huh?  And here I thought we were soul mates.  I mean, my soul mate would obviously adore lemony pasta as much as I would, right?  So let's just ignore Mr. F. for the moment.  It was good.  And it was nice and creamy with the melted goat cheese.  Of course, I used gluten-free pasta, because that is how I have to roll these days, but it was good.

Shepherd's Pie

So after the debacle with the lemon pasta, I accused Mr. F. of not liking my cooking.  He explained that his tastes are like a bell curve.  He likes most things.  There are very few things that he loves and that he hates.  When I made Shepherd's Pie (and honestly this Cook's Illustrated one is pretty darn tasty out of all SP recipes), he made it a point to say, "I really like Shepherd's Pie."  And then he tapped his noggin to make sure that I would remember that occasionally I do make things that he really likes.  Notes: I don't think I used a full 2 lbs of ground beef.  Maybe 1-1.5.  Also, I upped the broth and removed the beer.  Oh, and I used GF soy sauce.  (I add this as a note to people who are not celiac and who may not know there is wheat in soy sauce.)  I also nixed the egg wash and left off the broil instructions at the end.  And instead of russet potatoes, I used yukon gold because that is what I had on hand.

I feel completely awesome for whipping this particular meal out.  It was a day that I was also canning chicken broth.  (Trying to use up a chicken carcass before it got too freezer-burned for Mr. F.'s delicate palate.)  Baby F. decided that he only wanted to nap for an hour in the afternoon and was fussy and Mr. F. called to mention that he would be coming home later than normal.  I strapped baby on my back in the Ergo, finished canning the chicken broth and then had this dish almost completed by the time Mr. F. came home.  Take that June Cleaver with your hired help!


Black Bean Tacos with Cabbage Slaw

I have mentioned these here before, so I won't say much about it.  They are good and easy to make.

------

It looks like Mr. F. is going to be busy next week which means that he will be coming home later than normal.  This might mean some easy and not so terribly exciting meals this week as fussy baby time and dinner time seem to coincide and there is only so much that a girl can handle. 

3 comments:

kyriacarlisle said...

So Mr. F. won't appreciate this (lemony pasta with goat cheese!), but this is a very handy recipe if you happen to have a lot of a zucchini sitting around: Zucchini and almond pasta salad.

I swap goat cheese for the parmesan and use all of the optional additions except the arugula. Nomnom, etc.

MBC said...

Keep the recipes coming! I was just searching your blog this weekend for ideas on how to use up some of our bean stores.

Anonymous said...

yeah! more recipes! mmmm lemony pasta!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...