Saturday, September 18, 2010

What I am Eating 9/11-9/17

Since Mr. F. was working long hours this week, we kept the menu really simple. 

Homemade personal pizzas


We used these frozen gluten-free pizza crusts as the base for our pizzas.  I had sauteed zucchini, artichoke hearts and fresh mozzarella on mine while Mr. F. went for a more traditional mushroom and olive.  The crust was fairly decent.  More edible than the one gluten-free recipe we have tried before. 

Mock Vegetable Risotto
from Jeanne Lemlin's Main-Course Vegetarian Pleasures

I really like Jeanne Lemlin's recipes.  Her book "Vegetarian Classics" is awesome.  Her recipes are super accessible to the person just venturing into vegetarianism or who is looking to incorporate more vegetarian meals into their repertoire (like me).  She uses a lot of pantry items like canned beans and tomatoes, etc.

This is a nice alternative to a risotto.  I really like risottos, but I must admit that I think they can be a real pain to make with the constant stirring, etc.  I think you could adapt most risottos to this method. 

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
 1medium onion, minced
1 cup white rice
2 1/4 cup vegetable stock (I used chicken because I am not strictly vegetarian and I think it tastes better)
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 medium zucchini cut into quarters and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (blech, I left this out.  I dislike anything remotely tasting like licorice)
1/2 cup seeded, diced tomato fresh or canned
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
freshly ground pepper

2 tablespoons white wine or dry vermouth (omitted)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 tabelspoon minced fresh basil.

Heat the butter in a 3-4 quart saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes.  Stir in the rice and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often.  Pour in the vegetable stock and salt and cover the pan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.  Do not let it brown.  Stri in the red pepper and saute 3 minutes.  Add the zucchini and fennel and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.  Add the tomato and saute 2 minutes.  Stir in the peas and a generous seasoning of ground pepper.  Remove the pan from the heat.

After the rice has cooked about 17 minutes, it should be tender, not muchy, and there should be a little stock left over that has not been absorbed.  At this point, stir in the wine and then all of the vegetables. 

Sprinkle in the two cheeses and the basil, then gently stir to incorporate them.  Cook 1 minute and serve.

French Lentil and Vegetable Soup

Another Barefoot Contessa recipe.  I had this in my binder for ages but never made it because I could not find a source of french green lentils (except to order online).  But then, the local health food store started carrying them in their bulk section.  This is very similar to another lentil soup recipe I have which uses barely in addition to lentils.  However, now that barely is out (so sad!), this will probably be my go to lentil soup recipe.  

The recipe makes a ton.  Please note the serving size before you proceed.  I have halved the recipe both times I have made it.  It is plenty for the two of us plus a number of lunches afterward.  


Grilled burgers and vegetables

We passed by a newly opened Red Robin yesterday.  I remarked to Mr. F. how I thought a nice burger sounded really good right then.  However, I have not eaten out since being diagnosed with celiac (besides the occasional Chipotle run for a burrito bowl).  I wasn't sure if their burgers had any sort of filler, and of course the bun would be out.  I also wouldn't be able to indulge in any french fries because they don't have a separate frying, etc. etc.  We made the decision just to grill our own burgers, and it was the better choice.  We indulged in a grilled burger from our local beef stash, some grilled zucchini, and a gluten-free corn muffin.  It was a nice, simple dinner that was perfect for the evening. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just used this to plan my shopping/ menu list for the next 2 weeks. going with the mock risotto and the lemony asperagus pasta (mmmm goat cheese and lemon) am also going to look up some of the arugula pasta (maybe the one w/o lemon this time. muchas gracias hermana

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...