Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

Cross-posted at Learning to Bake Again.

Thank goodness for certified gluten-free oats.  If I had to go oat-free in addition to going gluten-free, I might just tell you to put me down.  It must be my Scottish heritage, because my love for oats borders on being an unholy obsession.

Baked oatmeal is the best invention since sliced bread.  It is like a warm oatmeal cookie, except better for you.  It is also perfectly seasoned/sweetened.  I don't know about you, but I always have a hard time figuring out how much sugar/salt to put in my stove-top oatmeal.  Baked oatmeal always turns out nicely.  I can also make up a batch and have it on hand for a quick, but healthy and hearty breakfast.  I used to warm it up right before my morning classes and eat it during lectures.  Now, I can easily warm it up to have whenever Baby F. lets me get a bite to eat.

I like to keep it plain--with out any spices, nuts, or fruits so that I can vary it from day to day.  One day I can put in some fresh or frozen fruit, the next day I can add a handful of chocolate chips to "Frenchify" it.  There are a number of recipes for baked oatmeal on the internet.  This particular version comes from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking.  It has both steel-cut and regular old-fashioned oats.  This makes it a lot denser and more filling.  I usually halve the recipe and bake it in a 9-inch pie pan.      

Baked Oatmeal w Raspberries


Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking

1 cup (5 3/4 ounces) steel-cut oats
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
4 cups (1 quart) water
3 cups (10 1/2 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup (5 5/8 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Original recipe additions which I omit

1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) peeled and diced apple (1 large)
1/2 cup (3 ounces) diced dried apricots
1/4 cup (1 5/8 ounces) diced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Butter a 9-inch square baking dish.

Place the steel-cut oats and butter in a large bowl.  Bring the water to a boil, and pour over the oats.  Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, stir in the old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla.  Stir into the oat mixture.  Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake until the center is set, 35-40 minutes.  If halving the recipe, bake for only 20 minutes or so.

3 comments:

Ange said...

Okay, what are steel-cut oats? What's the difference. It seems to be that they are healthier but I don't know much about them. I need to look at my Nurishing Traditions book or something. But man I'm too lazy. We just cook old fashioned oats on the stove and throw some brown sugar and cranberries.

Anonymous said...

I am so going to start doing this. I need some variety to my yogurt and grapenuts gig.

Jaimee said...

Tasty! I tried it with the cinnamon and nutmeg and it reminded me of pie! I was wondering how it would turn out if I sliced some apples and threw them in to bake with the whole thing. Would it be sort of like a moist apple crisp?

Oh, and Ange, steel cut oats are whole oats that have been cut a few times instead of rolled. This means they take longer to cook and also have a heartier taste.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...