Sunday, July 11, 2010

What I am Eating: Round 2

And we are up for another "What I am eating."  This time you get two week's worth of menus since I was busy last weekend and didn't post.


Chicken and dumplings

Chicken and dumplings is my favorite comfort meal.  Love this stuff.  When my mom passed away when I was 19, one of the things I was seriously upset about was that I didn't know how to make chicken and dumplings and that there was no recipe to be found among her cookbooks or recipe files.  It took me years to find a recipe and make it.  (This was before it became so easy to find anything and everything online.  Wow.  That makes me sound old.)

There are a couple of recipes for chicken and dumplings that I use.  I like this one because it reminds me of my mother's, but it is by no means the end all be all of dumpling recipes.  As for modifications, Mr. F. browned the chicken before making the stock to make a more flavorful broth.

Pasta with Five Fresh Herbs

O.k.  this is one of those recipes where we modified it enough that my review is almost meaningless.  It was "eh."  We didn't cook the tomatoes because Mr. F. doesn't like cooked cherry tomatoes (to him they become mush with skins), and we used feta versus goat cheese because that was what we had on hand (although goat cheese would have been better).  We also didn't have parsley--so it became pasta with four fresh herbs.  Unless you have an herb garden (which we do), I wouldn't go out and purchase all the herbs to make this dish.  It wasn't that spectacular.


Black bean, corn and zucchini enchiladas

These were pretty decent.  The upside to this recipe was that I could easily make it gluten free for my sister and her family this past weekend by subbing out the flour tortillas for corn.  We didn't have to worry about the enchilada sauce because it was made from scratch (and pretty easily at that.)  However, I have another vegetarian enchilada recipe that I like a bit better due to its creamy sauce.

Corn chowder and savory cheese scallion scones.

The corn chowder recipe is one that I have talked about a few times here on the blog and the recipe can be found here.  I made it this time without the bacon and didn't miss anything.  I also made this gluten free for the visitors by subbing out regular flour with gluten-free flour.

The scones were very tasty.  I whipped these babies up in the food processor.  I needed all of the flour that it called for, and they were still pretty wet.


Southwestern Falafel

One of my regular bean patty recipes.  The avacado spread on these is really tasty.  This week though, we just used left over guacamole that we had and that worked pretty well. 

Veggie Enchiladas

I know, you are thinking, but you just had those.  Well, the two recipes couldn't be more dissimilar.  The person who concocted this recipe I think brainstormed every fatty natural food and combined them all together.  Avacados?  Check.  Nuts?  Check.  Dairy products in the form of cheese and sour cream?  Check.  This is one of the few recipes that Mr. F. brought to the marriage that we make on a regular basis.  He doesn't really get attached to recipes like I do.

1 package corn tortillas
2 medium avacados, (ripe--the recipe says.  Just in case you were going to use unripe ones.)
juice of one lemon
4 scallions minced
1/2 c finely diced parsley
1 c finely chopped cashews, toasted (we don't bother toasting ours)
1/3 cup fat free sour cream (or you could use regular because what does it matter at this point?)
1 1/2 c corn
1 large can enchilada sauce (we always use green)

Mash avacados and add lemon to prevent browing.  Add rest of ingredients (except corn tortillas and enchilada sauce) and mix together for filling.

Pour small amount of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.

To soften corn tortillas, pour about 1/2 c sauce in skillet and boil.  Place corn tortillas in sauce for a few seconds, flip to other side.  Fill tortilla with filling and roll together.  Place seam side down in pan.  Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheddar cheese if desired (um, of course I desire!)  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 325.  Take aluminum foil off and toast last 5-10 minutes.

Cream of Broccoli Soup and Waffles

Soup and waffles.  It could possibly be viewed as a weird combination, but it is one that I grew up on.  (Obviously not waffles in soup!)  The soup is a family recipe that has been modified from "The Fine Art of Soup, Utah Museum of Fine Arts" (although I don't know how "fine" these recipes are.  One soup recipe calls for hot dogs.)  and the waffle recipe is one that I talked about here.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

1 lb package frozen broccoli
1/2 C chopped onion (or just one onion if you are like me.)
1 can chicken broth plus some water to cover broccoli and onions (or you can just add more stock).
2 + tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 c evaporated milk plus regular milk (I use the whole can of evap. milk and then top off the remaining with regular milk.  The original recipe calls for half and half).
1 tsp salt
pinch of ground mustard
pinch of ground red pepper

Combine broccoli, onions and broth.  Heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes.  Puree in blender until smooth but with some chunks.  In separate pot, melt butter and blend in flour.  Stir in broccoli mixture, milk, salt, and spices.  Heat slowly to boiling.  Simmer 1 minute stirring.

The book cites the recipe as being "quick and easy."  I can attest to that.  And despite it being quick and easy, I think it tastes pretty good too.  If you try it, however, and you don't like it.  Don't tell me.

-------

Whew.  Doing two weeks in one post is a lot.  Especially as we had guests.  I am now quite fatigued.

1 comment:

kyriacarlisle said...

Did you ever try the eggplant and almond enchiladas from the Moosewood cookbook? I know, I know: it sounds weird, but a couple of my friends and I like them a lot.

Note: the recipe - for a wonder, with early Mollie Katzen - actually works more-or-less the way she says it will, though I always get more than 12 from a full batch. They keep well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...