Saturday, June 26, 2010

Yes, we have no bananas

I am not a huge fan of bananas in baked goods as I find that the banana flavor is stronger than I like.  I personally like my bananas uncooked and on the green side.  However, the bananas carried by our local grocery store are spiteful creatures.  They go from being super green to yucky, spotted mutants overnight.  I have been throwing out too many bananas for my liking, and so it was time to buck up and channel my pioneer "waste not, want not" heritage.

Usually when faced with over-ripe bananas, I whip up a batch of Mr. F.'s favorite banana chocolate chip cookies (another recipe for another day).  This time, however, I decided try out a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks: King Arthur Whole Grain Baking.

Yes, these muffins taste like bananas.  However, the addition of the chocolate chips make the muffins taste a bit naughty and decadent. Suddenly the muffins go from "I am a vehicle for rotten bananas" to  "I am the star of my own feature movie."  Or something like that.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

½ C butter (4 oz, or 1 stick)
½ C brown sugar -- packed (3 3/4 oz)
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1½ C banana -- mashed, (about 3 large)
¼ C honey -- (3 oz)
2 eggs
2 C whole wheat flour -- (8 oz)
⅔ C chocolate chips -- (4 oz)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin pans. Beat together butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the banana, honey, and eggs, beating until smooth. Add the flour and chocolate chips, stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan.  The batter will come to the top of the pan.  Bake regular sized muffins for 25 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.

KA Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

7 comments:

Janssen said...

Yum, that looks tasty!

Janssen said...

Oh, and I'm totally a slightly-green banana eater. Once they are yellow, I'm not interested :)

kyriacarlisle said...

I personally like my bananas uncooked and on the green side.

That's because you're a sensible person. BTW, I own this cookbook, too, and I have to say I enjoy having a guide to the best parts (I find a lot of the recipes a little too sweet, so I always end up tinkering with them).

Stacey Smith said...

That sounds yummy.

And no, I will not be making any. I want someone to make them for me.

MBC said...

I have the same feeling about bananas. My husband just made the new Cook's Illustrated banana bread, though, and I found it so lovely that I ate 5 slices in one day. The recipe calls for 6 bananas and requires reducing banana liquid to intensify the banana flavor, which seems like a terrible thing to do if you're not a banana fan, but no, delicious.

Jen said...

Throw in a handful of chopped up crystalized ginger and those muffins will go to a whole new level:)

Lady Susan said...

@Jen: ala Orangette style, I know. For some reason I have this unfounded fear of crystallized ginger. I fear it will be too strong. Is it? Should I face my fear head on?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...