Sunday, June 27, 2010

What I am eating

I have had this idea rolling around in my noggin'--post weekly about the previous weeks menu, complete with reviews.

Exciting?!

Not really.  Unless you are like me and are strangely compelled to know what other people eat.  How often do they eat pasta?  Do they really eat that much meat!?  This is the blogger version of staring into the stranger's grocery cart next to you in the check out line and mentally judging its contents.  (Am I the only one who does this?)  So judge away.  These posts might even boost your self-esteem. Now you can think to yourself, "well I never eat that many (fill in the blank)"  or "I eat a lot more (fill in the blank) than she does."  Or perhaps you will think that something sounds good and give it a go.  I know that I am always on the lookout for new recipes.

Drum roll please.....

Lentil and Tomato Soup

So Mr. F. and I are in possession of 5+ pounds of red lentils.  When we bought them, Mr. F. thought it was funny at the time to keep filling my bag full of red lentils until we had an obscene amount.  It was hilarious.  Until we were stuck with a huge bag of lentils which we could not put back.  So, in an effort to actually use them instead of letting them petrify in my pantry, I have been searching the world wide web for interesting recipes.  It turns out that red lentils are used a lot in Indian cooking.  I am not a big fan of Indian cooking, especially trying to make it at home.  While it might be passable at a restaurant, I am never pleased with home cooked results. 

So that cuts out 90% of all red lentil recipes.  Red lentils are also used a lot in soups.  Again, a lot with Indian flavoring.  However I came across this one which takes a Mexican slant.

I was pleasantly surprised and will make it again.  I think I will leave out the turmeric, though.  Not my favorite spice (see whole treatise above regarding Indian cooking.)  I also used chicken broth instead of vegetable stock since I think it tastes better, and I am not vegetarian.  I think it would have really benefited with a dollop of sour cream.  However, our sour cream had gone south.  Tragic.

_____________

The rest are Cooking Light recipes back in the day when Cooking Light had decent recipes.  You  know, before they traded their birthright for advertising dollars and went over to the dark side.  But that is another rant for another day.

Black Bean Pasta Salad

Nice basic pasta salad with black beans, limes, a bit of mild heat from the chilies and some creamy avacado.  Perfect for summer when you don't want to heat up the house with a lot of cooking, and when you don't have a lot of time.  Mr. F. thought it was "too much lime."  But Mr. F. is a wuss. 

Asparagus, Green Onion, and Goat Cheese Quiche

I guess you would say this is in "rotation" at our house.  We have it whenever we can be assured of some decent asparagus.  However at the store this past week, the asparagus looked ghastly so we gave frozen asparagus a go.  Not too bad.  Much better with fresh, but frozen worked decently in a pinch.  The only problem was that with frozen, it is harder to get rid of the woody stalks.  We used a frozen pie crust (*gasp!*) so that it was a pretty easy weekday meal.  And it has goat cheese.  Do I really need to expound further?


Bierocks

Or "meaty pies" as we have been calling them this week.  These I make once in a blue moon.  I find that any recipe requiring me to make dough is just Too Much Work on a weekday.  Even now, when I am conceivably home all day, I find it too much of a hassle.  They are pretty "simple" tasting--meaning that you have ground beef, cabbage, and some salt and pepper in a bun and that is it.  But I like them anyway.  Mr. F. and I think that we will do half wheat and half white flour next time though.  We like to have our bread have a bit more heft and taste to it. 

So there you have it.  This is what I at this week.  You may now judge me to your heart's content. 

1 comment:

Mr. F said...

I stand by my assertion that limes belong in pie and not in soup. Although, I try keep my complaints to a minimum since Lady Susan chooses the menu every week and I only occasionally supplement when leftover choices are low.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...