Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Little Orange Wheaty Cakes

I often wonder when I am reading certain food blogs whether the individuals eat all the goods that they bake and write about, or if they give them away to co-workers, etc.  I will tell you here and now that I eat all the cookies and muffins that I write about.  Sometimes Mr. F. gets to eat a few too.  I do not give them away (don't you go judging this squirrel heart of mine).  The flip side of stuffing my face full of cookies is that I can't really blow off the exercise.  Baked goods are my weakness.

These cookies are like mini cakes, which I must admit I love.  The original recipe calls for them to be iced.  However, the whole point of drop cookies is that they are fuss free.  I am a mom of a two month old.  He doesn't allow me to ice cookies.  He barely allows me to take a shower and to feed myself.  So instead of icing, I just added some chocolate chips.

These cookies, although they call for whole wheat flour, are identical to traditional orange iced cookies, so if making cookies with 100% whole wheat scares you, you can substitute any amount of all-purpose flour.


Little Orange Wheaty Cakes (aka Iced Orange Cookies)
adapted from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking

11 Tbs (5½ ounces) unsalted butter
¾ cup (5¼ ounces) granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 large egg
½ cup (4 ounces) freshly squeezed orange juice (grate zest before juicing)
2 Tbs grated orange zest (the rind of 1 large or 2 small oranges)
2 cups (8 ounces) traditional whole wheat flour
1 cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat in egg, then orange juice and orange zest, scraping the bowl. The mixture will look curdled; that’s OK.  Add the flour, beating until smooth. (This is where you would add the chocolate chips.)  Drop dough by Tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake cookies until they’re just barely beginning to brown around the edges, 10 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and let them cool on the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.

WW orange chocolate chip cookies

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...