Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The thought that Baby F. is “pre-polluted” makes me sick

After reading this book, Mr. F. and I finally girded our loins and tossed out a majority of our tupperware.  Although we knew that reheating our leftovers in plastic containers was a Bad Idea, that didn’t stop us from doing it.  What else were we to transport our lunch in?

We have since invested in some glass containers.  Sure, they are a bit more cumbersome to transport but.......Oh My Goodness, people!  These containers are awesome!  You know how food can be really hard to clean from plastic containers-like melted cheese that has somehow fused with the plastic?  Not really an issue with glass containers which makes them so much easier to clean.  And from an aesthetic point of view--they look nicer, and they stay nicer for longer.  Eventually, I would like to replace all of our plastic containers, not just the ones in which we store our leftovers.

I have been feeling really good about this decision (despite the added expense of replacing our containers).  This feeling was further supported once I read this article.  Doesn’t the fact that “public health officials have ‘grossly underestimated’ the role environmental contaminants may be playing in the 1.5 million Americans who are diagnosed with cancer each year” strike you as being severely incompetent and negligent?  I also find it really disturbing that infants born today are “pre-polluted” due to the level of chemical contaminants found in their cord blood. 

I think what bothers me the most about this topic is that there is little that I can do to prevent myself from becoming polluted and thus Baby F.  Sure, I can stop microwaving my plastic, but I can’t stop companies from dousing everything I own in flame retardants.  Also, even fairly simple steps like “eating organic” is difficult when you live in   rural America, and your options are a bag of apples that have been in storage for a couple of years. 

So, what do you guys think?  Have you made some steps toward de-polluting your environment that you can share?

3 comments:

Janssen said...

I haven't made this switch yet, but I do actively avoid using the plastic tupperware in the microwave.

Can I say how much I love it when you write about green topics?

Jen said...

Great post, thank you!!! We got rid of the microwave all together a few years ago and have not missed it once. Even now we are staying temporarily in a home with one and we rarely even think to use it. We have also switched to all metal and glass storage for food and packing lunches. We try to reuse as much as possible which means I often wash out jars that came home from the grocery to use for food storage or to pack in the girls lunch bags. My fabulous sister in law made me a set of cotton produce bags which get toted to and from the store weekly so we are not bringing home tons of those flimsy plastic bags -- THANK YOU Chris:) Really in the end I think it is the small steps that become habits which will make the biggest difference over time.

Jaimee said...

We switched to all glass and BPA-free plastic containers for food storage. Avalon has a laptop lunch box and BPA-free water bottles. We also use wrap 'n mats and happy sacks for sandwiches. We wash and reuse ziplock bags and use cloth bags at stores.
http://www.laptoplunches.com

We purchase organic and environmentally friendly personal, health, and cleaning products through a Frontier co-op.
Get a group together in your area! The min is just $250 for free shipping! http://www.frontiercoop.com/
You can also look into your local UNFI groups and CSA's to get more organic foods.

We purchase organic foods whenever possible and grow some of our own foods in our garden. We also compost.

We cloth diaper, do a little elimination communication, and use cloth wipes for the entire family instead of toilet paper.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...