Friday, May 14, 2010

She couldn’t really call them chocolaty cow pies

The other day, my cookie stash in the freezer ran out.  I know.  Tragedy.  It is even worse these days because I never know if Baby F. will cooperate with my need to bake more cookies by taking extra long naps.  (Where are his priorities?!)  However, there was a day when the cookie and nap gods simultaneously smiled down on me.  The only decision was, what cookie to make?  I was kind of in the mood for brownies, but I find brownies to be a bit inaccessible.  I always feel guilty indulging in a brownie in a way that I never feel with a cookie.  Enter Dorie Greenspan as mediator with the recipe “Chocolate Oatmeal Drops.”  Per her words, these cookies have the look and shape of a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie, but have the chocolatiness of a brownie.  Um, hello, answer to my cookie dilemma.

Chocolate Oatmeal Drop Cookies Close

They are pretty much brownies in cookie form.  And guess what?!  They have my favorite of all cookie ingredients: oatmeal! 

Chocolate Oatmeal Drops
Adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (omitted)
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 cups (packed) light brown sugar (I used dark)
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Ghiradelli’s bittersweet chocolate chips)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (if using).

Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.  Put the butter in the bowl and sprinkle over the 1 tablespoon water, then add the brown sugar, followed by the chocolate.  Stir occasionally until everything is just melted.  Don’t let the ingredients get too hot or the butter will separate from the sugar and chocolate.  Don’t be concerned if the mixture looks grainy.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the eggs one at a time; the mixture will look shiny.  Whisk in the dry ingredients, stirring only until they disappear into the dough.  Stir in the oats.  Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets.  Bake for 12 minutes.

Notes:

Dorie seems to have a love affair with chocolate and cinnamon.  I know that it is supposed to be all hip and exotic and all that jazz, but honestly?  That particular flavor combo doesn’t really do anything for me. 

I also have a fear of flat cookies--in fact, I despise flat cookies.  I refrigerated the dough for about 6 hours before baking, and I am glad that I did.  The cookies came out as I prefer--rounded and thick.  The dough that warmed up to room temperature cooked up flat and crispier than I prefer.  Refrigerating the dough also allowed the oatmeal to absorb some of the liquid and soften up.  Mr. F. really doesn’t like the texture discrepancy between firm oatmeal and soft cookie, and this method alleviated that problem.

The dough is pretty quick to whip up--so it is even manageable during the most briefest of naps.  And, bonus, you don’t even need a mixer.

Chocolate Oatmeal Drop Cookies

1 comment:

Washington Hills said...

Lady Susan, do you eat your cookies frozen out of the freezer, or do you heat yours up? I could go either way, just curious...Frozen chocolate chip cookie dough works just as well...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...