Monday, May 3, 2010

A Grunt for a Grunter

I had a bit of a breakthrough a couple of weeks past: Baby F. needs to be swaddled for naps.  I had been swaddling him at night but letting him “sleep loose” during the day.  Unfortunately, that meant he had a really hard time falling asleep and staying asleep, which left me exhausted.  On an interesting side note, some people think that one’s baby either “likes” to be swaddled or does not.  I don’t know any babies who “like” being swaddled.  I just know babies who “need” to be swaddled.  My baby is of the latter category.  That does not mean that he takes to the swaddling submissively.  Oh no.  Often it comes down to a wrestling match, with the stronger being victorious.  I am stronger.....but just barely.  That newborn is very strong in his wrath. 

My little burrito.  2 Months.

Wrapped up like a burrito.  They will be hiring me soon at Chipotle.

Having him swaddled means longer, better naps.  Suddenly I have a few hours in the day when I can do something.  Like nap.  Or make baked goods.  So one day, while Baby F. was grunting away, fighting his swaddle before finally submitting to blissful sleep, I broke out the baking supplies.

At the farmer’s market, I had picked out some stalks of ruby red rhubarb on a whim.  I can’t remember the last time I had eaten rhubarb.  I am guessing it was in the last decade.  But I was feeling all spring-y and conscious-pricked about “eating in season,” so in the bag went the stalks and out of the wallet went the money.

 Raspberry Rhubarb Grunt Uncooked Close up

Of course, after I had purchased the rhubarb, I had no idea what to do with it.  I did an internet search among the food blogs.  (Have you discovered foodblogsearch.com?  It searches all my favorite food blogs!  Much better than using just plain old google search.)  There were lots of recipes for strawberry-rhubarb pie and the like, but I really wanted to keep it simple.  After all, you never know how long the nap gods will favor you.  I came across this raspberry rhubarb grunt on Chocolate and Zucchini's website, and decided it was perfect. 

Raspberry Rhubarb Grunt
(adapted from Chocolate and Zucchini who adapted it from Nigella)

(Yes the measurements are all metric.  She is french after all.  This is when I am really glad to have a scale.)

Filling :

800 g rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into half-inch chunks (about 1kg untrimmed, about six large stalks)

200 g raspberries, fresh or frozen
 (I used frozen)
100 g brown sugar

20 g butter

Topping :

100 g plain flour

50 g whole wheat flour
(we were out of ww flour, so I used a combination of spelt and oat flours.  It turned out well, so if you have that particular combination on hand, feel free to experiment.)
30 g brown sugar

1/2 tsp salt

250 ml crème fraîche (double cream), whipped
(I made crème fraîche by taking a cup of whipping cream and two tablespoons of buttermilk and leaving it covered on the counter for 24 hours.  I also didn’t whip it and it was fine.  But then again, I don’t know how it would be whipped.  Ignorance is bliss.)

Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), and grease a shallow ovenproof dish (20 by 30 cm).

Spread the rhubarb evenly at the bottom of the dish. Cover with the raspberries, and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Cut the butter in small pieces and drop them all over the filling.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Gently fold in the crème fraîche, until the dough forms a sticky ball. Drop the dough by spoonfuls on top of the filling, covering the surface evenly, otherwise people will fight for the spots which have the most.

Put into the oven to bake for about 45 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is lightly golden.


Raspberry Rhubarb Grunt Cooked

******************************************

Now having just written about it, I think I will have leftovers as a second breakfast.  *nom nom nom*

2 comments:

clotilde said...

So glad you had good success with this recipe -- I can't wait to make it again when rhubarb reappears over here...

Janssen said...

I think you should come live next door to me. And then I will come over for breakfast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...