Monday, February 22, 2010

I Do Eat Other Things Besides Baked Goods

I have a hard time posting about non-baked items.  Mainly because I don't want to take the time to capture a pretty picture before sitting down to eat, and if I don't have a picture of the item, then why blog about it?  Also, main dishes, soups, etc. sometimes just don't come across as visually appealing which is why a lot of professional food photography uses tricks like not cooking the food.  And finally, reviews of main dishes are much more subjective.  I will think something is fabulous and Mr. F. will give it merely a "meh."  (Granted, Mr. F. is also my severest critic)  It makes me nervous to tell you about a recipe that I think is really tasty only to have you think it so-so when you recreate it at home.

Today, though I am going to ignore my inclinations and reservations and share with you a few of the new recipes we have tried in the past couple of weeks that I think are pretty decent.

Lemon Fusilli with Arugula:  O.k. this is by far the best recipe of the past few weeks.  After reading about it here and here, I finally went ahead and made it.  Oh my lovely!  The lemon!  The cream!  The arugula!  So yummy.  However......Mr. F. thought it a bit too lemony.  (See!  I told you.  Such the critic!).  I am going to ignore him though.  This is definitely a keeper.

Saigon Hoppin' John:  A new way to cook beans and rice!  I really like traditional Hoppin' John so I was game to give this a go.  Plus, can you go wrong with lemongrass, coconut milk, and cilantro?  The dish ends up being a kind of a porridge consistency, which is nice if it is a cold day outside.  My sister liked it though Mr. F. thought that it was just "o.k."  We ended up adding the whole can of coconut milk (who wants to deal with a left over milk?) and chicken versus vegetable broth which added to the taste.  Next time, I think I will use fresh ginger (vs. ground) and perhaps add some heat and interest with a bit of garlic chili paste.  So the consensus was--will make again but probably with some modifications.

Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wrap: I saw this a few times on the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards so I though I would give it a go.  The one modification we made: I didn't add the adobo chili as Mr. F. doesn't like adobo.  We rather liked this, and it comes together for a quick weekday meal.  However, like everything using avocado, it doesn't keep very well.  I doubled the recipe and that was a mistake since the avocado and bean mix turned brown and bitter before we ate it up.  

Goat Cheese and Roasted Corn Quesadillas: I feel a bit silly posting a recipe for quesadillas.  However, I just don't think outside the box when it comes to quesadillas (and sandwiches for that matter).  Quesadillas are our "go to" meal when we can't think of anything else to have, or are looking for a quick lunch/dinner option.    Our normal quesadillas are pretty boring: cheese and tortillas.  If we are getting really fancy, we might toss in some re-fried beans or hummus.  Yeah.  Exciting.  So, it was nice to try a variation on a well worn theme.  These were quite tasty and I am sure we will be eating them again.  We used frozen corn here instead of fresh (because who has fresh corn in February?).

Multi-Grain Waffles:  I have been looking for a good multi-grain waffles.  Ones that I have tried before were  loaded with butter.  This is nice because it is low in fat and sugar but still a really, really tasty waffle.  I liked these so much that I made a second batch the next day to freeze and have on hand for breakfast.  Modifications: we didn't add the cinnamon and we halved the sugar and vanilla.  I like my waffles to be a backdrop for the items I put on the waffle, hence why I nixed the cinnamon.  Also, our vanilla is super strong so I knew that 2 teaspoons would be too much.  And for the sugar......I don't think the waffles need the extra two tablespoons that the recipe called for.  Especially not when you are adding sweet ingredients (like jam, etc) on top.

And yes.....because I can't seem to stay away from the baked goods

Lemon Oat Bars:  Another success from King Arthur Whole Grain Cookbook.  I had to make cookies for a church function and decided to give these a go.  Yummo!  These are supper easy as they don't require a custard, but instead use the key lime pie/sweetened condensed milk approach.  Love the tartness of the lemon and how it compliments the oats.  Again, all whole grains!  I feel so virtuous lately in my cookie eating.

2 comments:

Carol said...

The wraps look delicious. I think I just found lunch for tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Janssen said...

I'm with Carol. The avocado wraps are calling my name.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...