Friday, January 29, 2010

Sour Cream Cherry Muffins

I know what you all are thinking right now.

"Dude, someone has the pregnancy munchies, what with her cookies, muffins, and other baked goods."

Well, you may be right. I have been more inclined of late to bake. However, I am trying to be somewhat responsible in my choices. Hence we have WHOLE GRAIN muffins. Almost every pregnancy guide out there mentions that I should be choosing "foods high in fiber that are enriched such as whole-grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice, fruits, and vegetables." See? These are practically akin to taking my pre-natal vitamins. I can feel quite virtuous while stuffing my face.

Now, you are going to notice that the recipe calls for the "creaming method."

"But Lady Susan," you cry, "you said creaming is for cupcakes, not muffins!"

I know, gentle readers. However unlike some muffins which call for this method and are indeed sweet enough to be cupcakes, I feel like these still fall within muffin territory. I think this method was employed to give the muffins extra help in the "lift" department, being a bit protein heavy due to the wheat flour. (Actually, I have no idea if this is true, but it sounds like it could be true, therefore I am sticking with it.) I find these muffins to be quite tasty, and are perfect for my mid-morning snack or "secondsies"--because with pregnancy comes hobbit-like eating tendencies.

Sour Cream Muffins
Adapted from King Arthur Whole Grain Cookbook

2 cups whole wheat flour (preferably white whole wheat flour; I used regular whole wheat flour and it was fine)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) berries or diced stone fruits.

Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix just until incorporated. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix just until the batter is smooth. The batter will be stiff. Cover the batter and refrigerate at least an hour or overnight. (I refrigerated it for about an hour).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and arrange rack in middle. Take the batter out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature about 15 minutes.

Grease a 12-well muffin pan. Fold the fruit into the muffin batter. Scoop the batter by the 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pan. Bake the muffins until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22 to 26 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a baking rack to finish cooling. (I made 18 muffins, and I baked them for 18 minutes. It was perfect.)


Sour Cream Cherry Muffin 1

1 comment:

Washington Hills said...

All right, Prego Susan, my Prego self just started drooling. I've got frozen cherries in my freezer, and I am totally trying these!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...