Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Making Mornings Glorious.......

....or at least really tasty.

I don't think it comes as a huge surprise to anyone that I love breakfast goods with a burning, heat-of-a-hundred-suns, kind of passion. I collect sweet roll, muffin, and scone recipes like a wine conesuer collects finely aged wines. However, I don’t often indulge in my obsessive love for one simple reason: I have no desire to look like Ina Garten (“and then we add two sticks of butter at room temperature followed by a quart of fresh cream”). Unfortunately, too many muffin, scone, and roll recipes out there are just cakes and pastries masquerading as breakfast foods. Do I really want to start my day with a 700 calorie deficit? No. Do these foods fill me up? No, in fact I find myself ready to eat again in a couple of hours. Do these foods now give me heartburn? Yes. Thanks to Baby F here.

So I am on a search for breakfast goods that actually belong at breakfast. I am looking for recipes that 1) won’t give me a sugar rush at 8 am, 2) will sustain me the whole morning, 3) won’t start my day off with heartburn, 4) allows me to eat something other the salads for the rest of the day (due to my calorie intake), and most importantly 5) still taste really good.
Is that too much to ask for? Am I consigning myself to oatmeal all the days of my life (not that oatmeal doesn’t have its place)?

I think I have found at least one solution to the problem: King Arthur Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins.

Morning Glories

I confess to having a weakness for Morning Glory Muffins anyway. However, unlike other Morning Glory Muffins I have tried, these are not mini-carrot cakes in disguise. They are not overly sweet, and as they are made entirely with whole wheat flour (with some wheat germ thrown in), they have a staying power that surpasses other recipes I have made. Of course, like all Morning Glory Muffins, they are filled with lots of great stuff like carrots, raisins, nuts, apples, etc. It’s like a fruit salad in a muffin!

Whole Wheat Morning Glory Muffins

1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) raisins
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
1 cup (7 1/2 ounces) brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (7 ounces) carrots, peeled and grated
1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated
1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup (2 ounces) chopped walnuts
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) sunflower seeds or wheat germ, optional--(*note: I added the wheat germ*)
3 large eggs
2/3 cup (4 5/8 ounces) vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup (2 ounces) orange juice --(*note: I did not add this as I didn’t have any readily on hand. It is to help minimize any “wheaty” sort of taste. This is more important if you are using store bought wheat flour. I was using flour that I had just ground, so I felt I was safe.*)

[*Also, if you have the capability, use a scale for measuring the dry goods. Wheat flour can really vary in its density, etc. and it can affect the outcome of the recipe.*]

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with papers and spray the insides of the papers. (*note: I actually got 18 out of this recipe. But I didn’t necessarily fill the tins up as high. Because of this, my baking time was a little less.*)

To make the muffins:

In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe. (*note: I did not do this. I don’t need my raisins to be all moist and plump-like. In fact, I prefer them as is.*) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, nuts, and sunflower seeds or wheat germ, if using. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened. Drain the raisins and stir them in. Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan (they'll be full almost to the top; that's OK).

To bake the muffins:

Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, until nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in their pan on a rack, then turn out of pans to finish cooling. (*note: They do come out kind of dark. I think that has to do with the whole wheat flour, etc.*)

Nutrition information per serving (1 muffin, 106g): 20g whole grains, 342 cal, 18g fat, 6g protein, 26g complex carbohydrates, 19g sugar, 4g dietary fiber, 53mg Cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 322mg potassium, 541RE vitamin A, 3mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 47mg calcium, 131mg phosphorous.
_______________

I have really been enjoying these this week. I definitely think they meet all the necessary criteria. Let me know if you make them and like them. Also, if you know of a recipe that might also fit the criteria, please share! I am always on the lookout for great breakfast options.

2 comments:

Ange said...

These sound great. I'll have to buy some wheat germ. I was just looking wheat germ up and saw that it is extremely high in nutritional value. Awesome. Jon doesn't like coconut but I do. Could you taste it a whole lot?
angellsworth@gmail.com

I'm getting so excited for you to welcome your new little baby. If you ever want to chat or have questions call me: 801-360-4948. I'm not an expert but am happy to try and help.

Melanie said...

Yum! I will definitely be making these.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...