Monday, October 26, 2009

Wherein Lady Susan waxes poetical about mattresses


Most of my life, I have slept on pretty inferior mattresses, from the mattress I slept on for my entire existence at home, to my grandmother’s twin mattress of indefinite age that I took to college, to the really cheap futon I slept on in Pasadena, to finally, the nicer futon that I slept on until I married. I wasn’t too picky with my mattresses as long as they were firm and available.


Prior to our marriage, Mr. F. and I determined that it would be best to purchase a new bed. He solicited my advice as to what type I would prefer, and I remained pretty ambivalent. As long as it was a decent quality, firm mattress, I was going to be happy. After all, pretty much anything was a step up from anything I had ever owned. It soon became apparent though that Mr. F. had a definite agenda when it came to mattress shopping. He didn’t want just any mattress; he was pretty much convinced that only this mattress could make him really happy.


I however, was not convinced that we needed to use up most of our savings to buy the Taj Mahal of mattresses, especially as we deemed it necessary to buy a King size. (Hey! We both like our space.) However, the more we tried it out, the more my frugality wavered—it was a really nice mattress: firm but yielding. I felt my resolve weaken. In the end (and what I probably thought at the time was against my better judgment), we took the plunge and bought the bed.


My dear readers: I am here to testify to you, that this has been, by far, the best choice we as a couple have ever made. I can’t begin to tell you the many, many hours I have enjoyed of sublime and restful sleep. This bed has been worth every single penny we spent on it, and I have absolutely no regrets. The only downside? It will spoil every other mattress for you. It used to be that I could sleep on any mattress fairly comfortably. Now? Let’s just say that once you are used to sleeping on Cloud 9, everything else just doesn’t cut it. After being away for any length of time (like all of last week, for example), it is not uncommon for Mr. F. and I to greet our bed with a fond embrace. We might even go so far as to sing its praises and to say how we are so sorry we had to be parted for so long. You see, when we invested in this bed, we invested in a relationship--a wonderful, giving relationship. My advice to you: Invest in such a relationship. Invest in a fantastic mattress. I am a firm believer that a good night’s sleep is priceless.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I'm dying for one. It's on the list of things to save for.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...