Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Symptom No. 1

Disclaimer: Please forgive me if the next few posts are too pregnancy related for your tastes. I am pretty confident that at some point, I will be able to talk about something other than the freaky changes taking over my once, normal body.

Pregnancy Symptom No. 1: Nausea/Morning Sickness

The ever-repeating conversation at our house

Mr. F.: What do you feel like having for dinner?
Lady Susan: Oh, I don’t know. Anything. Nothing. Something.
Mr. F.: Would you like to be more specific?
Lady Susan: I can’t. I just need to eat. I am sure if you think really hard, you will come up with the very thing that I want to eat right now, if only I knew what it was.

You think I am kidding, but I’m not. This is seriously that kind of nonsense that Mr. F. has to deal with on a daily basis. While I have experienced no particular cravings, I do have food aversions in abundance. They include but are not limited to the following: fresh tomatoes, summer squash, zucchini, any thing remotely acidic such as vinaigrettes, basil (I know! What twilight dimension am I living in?!), spices and spicy food, and sugar/sweet goods. Roasted vegetables have made the list as well as they have “too much taste.” In fact, you can be assured that anything that has too strong of a taste/flavor will be looked at with aversion.

Yes people, I have suddenly started eating like either a three year old or a Utah farmer—They are pretty much the same thing.

I am not sure if you fully appreciate the tragedy of this scenario. I am a self-proclaimed foodie. I normally spend my spare time searching for the next great recipe to try, and I am constantly keeping tabs on a few dozen food blogs. To wind down from the day, Mr. F. and I kick up our feet and watch back episodes of Good Eats. Now however, I can’t even think about food without feeling sick and nauseous. I have stopped looking at food blogs altogether as the pictures of food make me want to hurl. And my passion for baked goodies?—DONE.

Some of you might be thinking, “but this is great! I would eat so much better and in smaller proportions if I felt this way.” And yes, that is true. But there is this horrible pregnancy catch 22. You need to eat. If you don’t eat, you will just end up feeling worse, and worse and sicker. However, knowing this, you just can’t seem to find anything that is remotely appealing. THERE IS NO FOOD THAT YOU WANT TO PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. (Sorry for the all caps. I got worked up there for a minute.)

And to think that some people feel this way for the entire 9 months. Honestly, I try not to think about that. That is too depressing for words, because the only thing getting me through this, is the thought that it will end.

I do have hope that I will feel better in a few weeks. I already feel like the nausea and the food aversions are less than in the previous weeks. Perhaps this is just a delusion, but it is a delusion I am willing to foster for a bit.

1 comment:

Washington Hills said...

WHAT??!?!?!?!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...