Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Homemade Life

I think my first introduction to blogs was through my very hip librarian friend, Yola, who started her own personal blog where she reviewed books and shared her thoughts. She has always been a bit of a trend setter. In contrast, it took me two long years of reading and stalking before I made the jump, and by then it seemed a bit passé. My second introduction to blogs (again through Yola) was the blog Orangette. In the two years that it took me to finally go “online,” I debated about the focus of my blog—Food? Craft? Books? I secretly lurked on blogs of all sorts. In all honesty, however, I really just wanted to be Orangette. I wanted to post drool worthy pictures of my culinary creations while simultaneously setting the recipes in the context of my life via charming vignettes. Unfortunately, I don’t think I could have pulled it off with the same smashing success.


It seems fitting that Yola would then introduce me to Molly Wizenberg’s (author of Orangette) book, “A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from my Kitchen Table. I finished reading it a couple of weeks ago, and like her blog, it is charming and delightful. It encompasses everything that made her blog successful: stories about her life with the right hint of nostalgia combined with drool-worthy recipes. However, unlike other bloggers with book deals, her book isn’t a replicate of her blog in hardback.


In reading the book, I was caught thinking, “she is just like me!” The similarities include an early loss of a parent, an obsession with food, her stint as a graduate student, etc. It almost made me think that I too could have it all: an envious familiarity with Paris, a popular blog, a book deal, a handsome boyfriend now husband from New York (oh wait, scratch that last one. Sorry Mr. F.!) After reading her blog and her book, I feel as though Molly Wizenberg is a friend. Her writing is akin to opening the door, sitting you down at the table with a cup of tea and a slice of cake, and then sharing with you the funny, heartbreaking, and quirky stories of her life.

2 comments:

Janssen said...

I loved this book too. What a FUN fun read it was.

yola said...

My sisters and I all have giant craft crushes on Molly. We talk about her like she's a close personal friend, we friend her on fb, we walk by her new restaurant hoping to catch a glimpse of the genius at work. Apparently she lives pretty close by me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did. And for the record you tell just as good a story as she does. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...