Saturday, June 20, 2009

My New Obsession

Things may have been quiet lately on the blog front, but that isn’t for a lack of things to write about. I guess my attention has been drawn elsewhere—like our household budget.

I am on a budgeting high. I wouldn’t have supposed that I could get all hot and bothered about budgeting, as previous forays into the field have left me feeling more depressed than enthusiastic, but there you have it. I think there are significant differences in this budgeting venture than others though.

1. The money I have to manage is greater than $500 dollars. I no longer have to choose between paying for a) car repairs b) food or c) buying non-holey clothes. Those choices aren’t fun. Now however, I can actually save money, and I can choose the amount I would like to save, and perhaps the means as well.

2. Mint.com. Dude. I love this website. In the words of my middle school self, I want to marry Mint.com. I found out about this website about a month ago when I asked my friends on Facebook to send me cool internet sites out there that I might not know about. Someone sent me the link to Mint.com, and I just haven’t been the same since. I literally tell everyone I know about it, so of course I am going to mention it here. The website is really user friendly and automated so you don’t have to spend hours manually entering in info. The budget feature is awesome, tracking your spending in each category so you can visually see whether you are on target for that month or not. Plus you get reminders (weekly, monthly, daily—you choose) regarding your budget to keep you on track. I also like how you can graph trends over time and compare that to people in the same country, state, or city. (*clears throat* so you can just ignore our hay day with groceries in May)









3. Price books. I actually just started one this week, but I already love it. Today we went to another store in our area to compare prices. Mr. F. thought it might be cheaper than our regular store, but I have been obstinate about shopping there because it isn’t as nice and clean (*cough* Ghetto *cough*). Using my price book, we were able to compare prices of our usual items. I was somewhat relieved to find that they were comparable, with our usual store at times being the less expensive one. It is also handy to know what the regular price is so that I can recognize a good sale price. This is helpful to me, as I have no memory for numbers whatsoever. I experienced a huge rush when I was able to identify that a chicken at BJs was 40 cents cheaper than the sale price at the normal grocery store. Yeah….I think I have crossed the line from being fiscally savvy to geeky penny-pincher.

This, my dear readers, is what I have been engaged in these past few weeks. Fascinating stuff, I know. If you have any good budgeting tips/websites that you know of, let me know. This obsession is sure to last me a good month or more at the very least.

4 comments:

Washington Hills said...

I love budgeting, too. It has been amazing how much better I am with our money now than, say, three years ago. Go me!

You should check out Jamie's self-reliance blog that she does for her ward...

www.selfreliancebyjamie.blogspot.com

True, it's more coupons/groceries/canning, but it all saves money. Good luck with the quest!

Janssen said...

I love Mint.com. Oh, so fun to play around with.

I am right there with you on the nerdy penny-pinching ways.

yola said...

Budget? I am unfamiliar with this term. Is it something that adults do? Oh and I just went shoe shopping and got two pairs of cute sandals! Rah! ;) Maybe some day I'll be a grown up.

Retail Worker #48721093 said...

Not about budgeting, but if you are wanting to step further into the world of fiscal responsibility try Motley Fool. All about investing and the information ranges from beginning investor to crazy day trader.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...