Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance

Well, it's official. On Friday, I graduated with a Masters of Science specializing in Fisheries. I would be more excited about it if I wasn't also so deathly ill. It may not look like it, but in the photographs below, I was one sick girl. The two girls who unfortunately had to sit next to me were most likely seriously disturbed by my continuous coughing/hacking up a lung.

Lady Susan pre-ceremony

Getting "hooded." Please excuse the massive wrinkles in my gown. I probably should have hung it up earlier than the night before.

Walking

Post-ceremony. Good thing you can't see my sweaty armpits.

Can I just say though, that I think I got seriously jipped? On multiple accounts. I have been to many graduations. The unfortunate circumstance of being the youngest child--I must attend all of my siblings' graduations, while no one comes to mine (not that I'm bitter or anything.) At all the graduations, at all the various colleges, the form is pretty much the same: undergraduates wear a simple black gown with the square little hat and perhaps some tassels/stoles indicating honors and college. The masters, in addition to the black gown, hat, tassles, and stoles get a nifty hood often lined with velvet. The doctorate students wear the really decked out gowns and the squashy hats. Right?

Wrong. At least if you are at this university. The undergraduates gets hoods as well! So there is absolutely nothing to distinguish the masters from the undergraduates. Supposedly the undergraduate hoods are "shorter" and their gowns don't have the ridiculous bat wings attached, but otherwise, they are identical. It may not seem like a big deal, but after multiple attempts of getting into graduate school and then perservering through 2 1/2 years of classes, research, and writting, I kind of want some sort of aknowledgement of my hard work and not be lumped with some punk 21 year old who is stilling living off mummy and daddy.

Grievance number 2? For my graduation, all I was presented with was a dinky key chain attached to a card asking for my continued monetary support from the allumni association and a poster of campus. I mean, I know economic times are difficult and all, but seriously? A folder to display my diploma was too extravagent of an expense? I am supposed to pose for graduation pictures holding a poster and a dinky key chain?! Please tell me that I am not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous.

All in all, I am glad that I walked. It was good to have closure. Also people can understand "I graduated" more than, "I defended."

7 comments:

Melanie said...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!

Secondly, the undergrads got hoods?! That's ridiculous. How can they expect anyone with a Bachelor's degree to ever want to go to grad school if they've already received a hood? (because honestly, getting that hood is the best reason to go to grad school).

And no nice folder for your diploma? I thought I got gypped because I didn't get a T-shirt, but you obviously got a worse deal. (Your degree is probably more useful than mine though.)

Retail Worker #48721093 said...

I'm jealous of your yellow hood.

Want to trade?

Janssen said...

Yay! I just walked yesterday too . . .very exciting!

yola said...

Hooray congrats! I hope it feels good to have accomplished it...That degree was very well earned. I kinda wished I walked now when I finished my program. It felt a little anti climatic to just receive my diploma in the mail and not get a handshake to go with it. But I'm proud of you, yay!

Kristin said...

Congratulations! And yes, so weird and ridiculous that the undergrads were also given hoods. Hope you feel better soon!

Washington Hills said...

Go, Lady!
Go, Lady!
Wear your bat wings!
With the long hood!
Go, Lady!

(Oh, yes, I'm a dork.)

Emily said...

Congrats on graduation! You look so smashing in your cap & gown. Way to go!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...