Friday, April 3, 2009

I heart fiber!

Mr. F. and I certainly love our fiber around here. Mr. F. is especially reaping the benefits of the high fiber diet I have us on. Our colons love us.


Oatmeal



I have an abiding love for oatmeal. I find ways to eat it all the time whether it be in homemade granola, baked oatmeal, cooked steal-cut oats, breads, cookies, you name it. In fact, I feel cheated when any baked good does NOT contain oatmeal. Which is why when I was looking for a cookie to bake today, I found myself drawn to this recipe. Ooh da la lee. I was not disappointed at all. When I indulge in a cookie (*snort!* like I don’t indulge all the time), I like to make it worth my while. I like to eat it and feel satisfied. Not eat three and feel like I could eat the rest of the pan. These contain my three favorite cookie ingredients: peanut butter, chocolate, and oatmeal. I was a bit wary of the cinnamon and the nutmeg, but it didn't negatively impact the recipe or the taste in the slightest.


Beans



Ever since college, when Dr. C. introduced me to the wonderful and plentiful world of beans, I have been a true convert. Beans are a great, cheap source of protein. And they lend themselves to some pretty easy, peasy recipes. Take for example these tacos. I first came across them in Bon App├ętit, but didn’t really take note of them until I found them on Smitten Kitchen’s blog, at which point I tore it out of my magazine. However, when my fellow foodie at the lab made them and raved about them, I knew I needed to make them and pronto. Yes, they are good. Are they earth-shattering good? Probably not. But, they are pretty fabulous for the 15 minutes it takes to make them. You can bet your hand-cranked can-opener that I am going to be making these again.


RW requested in the comments a while ago that I post some of my easy bean recipes. I have not hitherto done so since they tend not to be very glam. However, I will try to make an effort of doing so since they are really great for everyday meals.


For past bean recipes you can look here and here.

3 comments:

Retail Worker #48721093 said...

I actually bought some polenta the other day because I remembered this recipe. I shall try it this weekend...

Washington Hills said...

The cookie recipe looks DELICIOUS! I'm going to try it...by the way, I think Jamie (Goodwin) Perkins makes her own dish detergent, too. I need to get on the ball...

Katie said...

Oooh, thanks so much! My man has been asking for more fiber in our diet and cookies are a great solution!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...