Friday, March 27, 2009

Mr. F. and I Part IV: The First Date

So, I actually blogged about our first date shortly after it happened. Of course, I kept it strictly innocuous and entirely about the production.

Things that I did not tell you:

Item 1:

I gave Mr. F. the impression that I was going to attend the play in holey jeans and a raggedy sweatshirt. This was because he was uber concerned about giving me enough time to get ready (baggage from previous relationships, I’m sure). I, on the other hand, was extremely anxious to dispel any preconceived notion that I was a girl who took much thought and effort into her appearance. (However, he probably should have cottoned on to that fact if I go around wearing this to church.) I made statements like, “I don’t blow dry my hair,” and “you’ll be lucky if I put on makeup.” If he was going to pursue this relationship, I wanted him to know what kind of girl he was really getting. (On second thought, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this tactic. I should never write a dating manual. I would lead girls horribly astray.) Therefore, he was rather pleasantly surprised when I opened the door dressed in slacks, blouse, red flats, and *gasp* makeup. I on the other hand took one glance at his jeans (nice ones, not holey ones) and immediately felt over-dressed.

Item 2:

Mr. F. is paranoid about arriving on time, a trait I don’t really mind. But on a first date, you really don’t want large chunks of unplanned time that have to be filled with awkward conversation. We ate at the local Thai food restaurant…….and then we had a couple of hours to kill. We drove around and talked, and I took it as a good sign that I didn’t want to slit my wrists after 30 minutes. It is all about the little things.

Item 3:

I was certain that Mr. F. was going to try to kiss me on our first date. On conferring with a friend, she suggested it as highly likely and that I should Be Prepared. She advised stashing a toothbrush in my purse and having some mints handy. The thought of having to be prepared for any sort of mouth-to-mouth activity, I found a little daunting. Is this what normal girls do? Keep mints and gum handy in case some boy swoops in for a smacker? I wasn’t sure I was ready to enter this world. I was 29 and still hadn’t been kissed.

On the drive back, my mind was in overload. I was definitely NOT ready to be kissed. When Mr. F. parked the car in front of the house, I quickly and politely thanked him for a lovely evening and then exited the vehicle with alacrity. I was later to hear from Mr. F.’s brother that Mr. F. had described it as thus: “She shot out of the car like a scared rabbit.”

Several more dates would pass before I stopped bolting out of the car right after Mr. F. placed it in park. A whole month would pass before he had an opportunity to actually kiss me. And couple of weeks after that before he tried a repeat performance.

1 comment:

joyce hanks said...

Loved reading about your dating that good looking boy of mine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...