Monday, September 15, 2008

The Twilight Zone

There have been times in my life where I find myself in eerie situations--the type of situation where I feel like I have been transported into an alternate dimension where people think and act strangely and contrary to all logic and reason. Yesterday, one of those moments occurred.

I was visiting a woman from church with two other church ladies. The woman’s husband came into the room and the discussion went south. Deep South. We ended up talking politics.

I heard the following statement, “Sarah Palin is great. She has a lot of things going for her. For instance, she is a member of the NRA.”

*cue the Twilight Zone theme music*

In what world is this considered an asset? Even though I think guns are evil and of the devil, and therefore the NRA is by association the organization of all evil, I will grant people some odd quirks—killing defenseless animals for fun to be one of them (within reason). However, I was appalled that this should be used as an example of an excellent quality, one to be emulated by the general public.

The conversation continued to move on similar lines—Why Sarah Palin is a great choice for Vice President. Unfortunately, I am rubbish at debate. While what they said made me feel physically ill, I could dredge up no counter points. So today, I spent way too much time trying to figure out why I dislike Sarah Palin so much. Here are the results of my search (with accredited sources to back up my statements). My main take-home message from this research? Sarah Palin is either really evil or really ignorant. In either case, neither are qualities I want in my Vice President. Especially as John McCain looks like he could keel over at any time.

She either doesn’t believe in global warming, or has a complete disregard for wildlife that will be negatively impacted (to the point of extinction) by global warming.

Here are a couple of statements written by Sarah Palin to the NY Times:

“This month, the secretary of the interior is expected to rule on whether polar bears should be listed under the Endangered Species Act. I strongly believe that adding them to the list is the wrong move at this time.



The Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental group, has argued that global warming and the reduction of polar ice severely threatens the bears’ habitat and their existence. In fact, there is insufficient evidence that polar bears are in danger of becoming extinct within the foreseeable future — the trigger for protection under the Endangered Species Act.”

Yeah, and I am sure that all the federal scientists at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife were on crack when they wrote of all of their assessments. I personally love how Sarah thinks that she can change science just by suing the federal government.

One of my favorite lines:


“I strongly believe that adding them to the list is the wrong move at this time.”

I am sure she thinks it is a wrong move. She would enjoy plundering and pillaging their habitat in pursuit of oil and gas and then afterwards, as a second thought, add them to the endangered species list when it would be virtually impossible for them to recover due to habitat degradation.

Which brings me to the second point…

She is environmentally unfriendly.

She thinks it would be a grand idea to drill in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. Not only would this do nothing for our dependency on foreign oil (it would supply the U.S. for only 200 days), it would severely harm the plant and wildlife in the refuge.

She would like to ban books.

O.k. I know that there has been some controversy regarding this. But the facts are:

a)She brought up the idea of banning some books at a civic council meeting. She mentioned that they were "somehow morally or socially objectionable to her."

b) She approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books. Sarah has tried to cover her butt by saying these conversations were "rhetorical," but I think we can safely say that she wouldn't be having these conversation if she weren't entertaining the thoughts.

c) She fired the librarian who pledged to "resist all efforts at censorship." as all good librarians would.

So sure, she didn’t actually ban books while Mayor, but she wanted to which means she wanted to infringe upon one of our constitutional rights—the freedom of speech. Does this not evoke memories of Nazi book burning?

She has limited experience.

Last night, one of the women brought up Palin’s experience and how it is comparable or greater than Obama’s.

Which just goes to show you that she hadn't looked into the issue at all. Or else she would have found that Palin

a) has no legislative experience other than city council;
b) was a mayor of a city with a population of a whopping 5,000 (which is less than the student body at some high schools);
c) wasn't actually doing of the day to day work as mayor--instead it was performed by an administrator; and
d) was governor of a state with 670,000 residents for less than two years.

She is favor for teaching Creationism in schools.

Granted, it isn’t likely that she would actually push the agenda but still…..the fact that she thinks it is a viable option is disturbing.

For all of those who are confused: faith and science are two very different, but not exclusionary things. Having faith does not exclude you from being a scientist, nor does believing in evolution mean that you do not believe in a divine creator as well.

Faith, in this case believing in a divine being that created the earth, should not be a subject at school. It should not be co-taught with evolution in a science class. First, this would be a slap in the face of our founding fathers who valued and fought for the separation of church and state. And second, faith, by definition, can also not be proved nor disproved by the scientific method which means that it has no place in a science class.

Evolution, on the other hand, is a theory that can be and has been proven via the scientific method so it is very much at home in the classroom.

---------

I could go on but people have already stopped reading.

I beg you--don’t vote for Palin because she is a mom, married to a blue collar worker, a member of the NRA, or cute and personable. This isn’t a beauty or personality contest. The Vice President is heavily involved in the running of our country. Vote for her because you agree with her dictator-style of government, her short-sided economic decisions, or her right-wing, fundamentalist values.

This is Lady Susan and I approve this message

And for something light-hearted……

7 comments:

Hizzeather said...

Darling, I love you, but I must put in my 2 cents! The good thing about her being a member of the NRA is that she believes in the right to bear arms and to learn how to responsibly use weapons. You must agree that in this day and age that is important. Er...maybe not. Anyways, I do. :) Also, the points you made, although a tad skewed, are all true, but sort of non-issues in this day and age. We have Wall Street in a crisis, having to be bailed out by the government, banks failing, a war raging, and a really screwed up government, and you think she's going to spend her time killing the environment and banning books? With McCain/Palin, at least we know what we are getting into. Obama is a freaking mystery, and I would rather Creationsism be taught in schools than the stuff that his church has been drilling into his head for 18 years. Obama, no matter how much he uses the word change on a daily basis, is a huge gamble...HUGE! He hasn't done much, and he hesitates taking sides, voting "present" instead of yes or no. PANSY! At least McCain & Palin get stuff done!
Anyways, I know that my opinion probably won't change yours, just as yours will not change mine. But we can still be friends...that's the beauty of this country. I appreciate that freedom, I respect all those who have died for it, and I revere those who are VOLUNTARILY fighting for it now.
Tangent concluded. :)

ps...I loved that skit! Best thing on SNL in years! Tina Fey rocks!

Lady Susan said...

Yes. I think we will have to agree to disagree.

I can see how the points I made could be seen as non-issues (though I personally think environmental and energy issues are very important this election). However, the points were used more to represent her general attitude toward governance which I find appalling and scary.

Yes McCain and Palin would get stuff done. However, I would not agree with the decisions they would make nor the way that they would execute them. In that sense, it would be like Bush and Cheney on steroids. No thanks.

This is normally why I don't discuss politics. It can be very difficult to understand how or why a person values certain ideals over others. However, the important thing is that people study the issues, the candidates stances, etc. and make an educated decision, regardless of what that may be.

Hardys said...

I completely agree with the need to study the issues, candidates, and make educated decisions.

I have heard all to often this election the need vote for Romney because he's a Mormon, or Obama because he's an African American, or for Hilary (now Palin) because she's a woman. Really? Are you joking?

Yes, this is a historic election year. Whether we want it or not there will either be the first woman VP or first African American president, but since when is gender or skin color the only point for consideration? Let's dig a little deeper!

So, thank you, thank you Lady Susan for your part in my education process, because I also believe that energy and environment are not only national issues of concern but also personal ones as well. Happy voting, all y'all.

Hizzeather said...

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that environmental issues are way down at the bottom of my list, but I do appreciate that there are people who respect it enough to fight for it. I am one of the rare few "normal people" who enjoy talking about politics, because it's so insightful. You really find out what people's passions are, and it opens your mind to how other's view the world. I think the #1 reason that I don't mind talking politics is that I go into every discussion knowing that there is a 99.9% chance that what I say will not sway anyone at all. :) People having different opinions than me has never threatened me...it's a good thing, because if everyone thought the way I did, we would be even more screwed up than we are now!
Honestly, I feel that this election is a lose-lose situation. I think you must have to sell your soul to the devil to be nominated. I wouldn't wish the job of President on my worst enemy. But, because of my values and ideals, McCain/Palin is the lesser of two evils. :)
I had to comment in the first place beacuse I couldn't let your blog become too Obama friendly, now could I? Although I'm sure most of your readers agree with you. :)
Please, please don't let opinionated people like me keep you from blogging about politics! Bring it! It's fun & enlightening! ;)

Anonymous said...

To me, the past eight years under the Bush Administration have not been good for our country. The cost of everything has skyrocketed, we have soldiers still fighting a war in Iraq with the supposed "mission accomplished" five years ago (so why are we still fighting?), people are losing their homes, pensions are threatened, jobs have been lost, deficits have reached staggering heights, and now, Wall Street is in crisis. A McCain/Palin Admininstration will proably hire many of the same people from the Bush Administration to run our country and continue with the Republican agenda. I don't think American can take any more of that. I would like to see the Obama/Biden ticket win the election which will provide the change we need. The economy improved and prospered after the change in 1992 to the Clinton Administation. It has been a disaster since 2000 under the Bush Administration. My argument to those of you who support McCain/Palin because "at least we know what we're getting into" and they are "the lesser of two evils" is this: Please consider if you are better off now than you were 4 years ago or 8 years ago! Is your standard of living better now...or worse. Please take these things into consideration as our future depends on it. ----Shark

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Sarah Palin. I can see Russia from my house, so therefore there is no problem with the economy, fuel prices, health care, the federal deficit, foreclosures, or bankruptcies. And, when it comes to heating fuel, I suggest you just keep paying for it, especially when it originates from Alaska. It's a great benefit to us Alaskans as I give out $1200 rebate checks to all Alaska residents. No wonder I'm so popular here. Things have never been better,so vote for me and McCain to ensure at least four more years of economic growth, more jobs, a balanced budget, and all during peace-time. Oh...wait...those were the Clinton years. Well, I can still see Russia from my house.

Retail Worker #48721093 said...

What this country needs is to back-off from the two party system that we have in place. There are some fantastic third party candidates out there that will never get a chance. They either don't have the clout to score the Democrat or Republican ticket or their ideologies don't mesh with the big two completely so they don't get the respect from their peers. Either way, this country needs to start looking elsewhere than the big two.

So that being said, does one try to pick the lesser of two evils or does one "waste their vote" by going with a third party? BTW, I don't believe going with a third party is a waste of a vote.

As for the two main candidates I think it is a crap shoot. Both have severe negatives and both have positives.

Unfortunately, in our media obsessed society, the scandal and the gossip are far more valued than what is actually being said. It's all about the sound bite and not about the substance. Rhetoric can only get you so far and if you don't have anything to back it up then it gets you no where.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...