Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Homeland

Where has the time gone, eh? What with the last minute wedding planning, the wedding, the honeymoon, and the moving, more than a month has past. And while I know you all are clamoring for pictures of the Big Day, I just can’t give them to you just yet. I want to tell it right, and that means waiting a bit longer. However, I can share with you some details regarding The Week Of Bliss otherwise known as the honeymoon.


*An aside. Whenever I think of honeymoons I tend to think of this movie which involves holing up in some plush hotel room for a week while you steam it up and order room service. This post will be devoid of steam. I choose to do this for the same reason we chose to travel incognito with respect to our marriage status: self respect. And to save me from having to find humor in such vulgar statements like: “We will have to replace the bed springs when you leave.” Or “My! You have been rather active this past week haven’t you? And I’m not just talking about just the dirty.” Which comments, I kid you not, we overheard being made to another honeymooning couple.*


For our honeymoon, we decided to make a pilgrimage to Prince Edward Island. And yes, the name deserves italics. You must also speak the name in a hushed, reverent tone. I have dreamed about going to Prince Edward Island ever since my third grade teacher, Mrs. Eams, gave me a copy of Anne of Green Gables to read. I have since inhaled practically everything that Lucy Maud Montgomery has written to the point of complete disintegration of multiple books. The island represents a childhood Neverland for me—where the colors are brighter, the communities are safer, and life is simpler. It is my homeland. I made a promise to myself that if I were to ever move back to the west coast, I was going to visit P.E.I. before I left. So when Mr. F. mentioned that he wanted to head north for our trip, I didn’t have to think very hard about a specific location. In the end, we decided on a week long trip staying at various bed and breakfasts’ around the island.

Here is a map of P.E.I. and the approximate locations of our inns. The green circles were locations of interest. We drove scenic roads along the coast as we moved from one location to the next so that by the end of the week, we had seen the entire coast.


So was it all that I dreamed of and more? Pretty much, yeah. I ate amazing food, saw incredible countryside, and was wooed by the slow, relaxed pace of life on the island. They call it “The Gentle Island” for a reason. It is comprised of farm lands and small communities. If you are looking for action and excitement, you must look elsewhere. So what did we do?


We took lots of walks along red and white sandy beaches:


We took many scenic drives:


Saw light houses galore:


Ate up everything Anne:


And enjoyed each others company:



Favorite memories:

Strawberries and gouda on the beach.

Long walks on singing sands.

Scones and tea at a small tea shop patronized by one other couple much much older. The best cream scones I have every tasted in my life.

Charming chocolate and pottery shops.

A plate of cookies waiting you at the end of the day.

A charming Scottish couple who I wanted to stalk just so I could listen to them All Day.

Glimpses into the past through preserved houses and villages.

Great conversations over fabulous dinners.


So of the five bed and breakfasts’ that we stayed at, I will give you my top three, just in case you find yourself taking a trip to the “Gentle Island” and need a place to stay.


The Raspberry Inn—seriously, the best breakfasts I have ever eaten in my life. Run by a cute young couple. I wished I was that young couple. Small and intimate.


The Hillhurst Inn—in downtown Charlottetown. The second best breakfasts that I had. Breakfasts are served around a common dinning room table and you have a chance to meet your fellow travelers. Mr. F. rather disliked talking with strangers at the start of the day, but I rather liked the experience.


Inn at Bay Fortune—known for some of the best food on the island. Dinner was very good. So was breakfast. However it is larger than your typical bed and breakfast and so there wasn’t the sense of community that you got at the other places. Plus the rooms lacked personality.


Mr. F. and I were sad when we had to leave. I am already planning a return trip--Imagine bright colors and brisk temperatures. Follow that with scenes of cozy fireplaces and white snow drifts. To keep me content in the meantime, I will have to revisit through the descriptive language of L.M. Montgomery.

3 comments:

yola said...

You two look so cute! I'm glad you had such a great trip!

Treasures By Brenda said...

I, too, have loved both of my trips to P.E.I. The first time, with my husband before my children were born, we stayed in a lovely old inn in one of the parks. The second time, because we had our teenage sons with us, we camped. Both times were a lot of fun for many reasons. Both times we loved the friendly people, great seafood and Anne of Green Gables!

Did you attend any of the 100th Anniversary events? I have been reading about them and have written a page about Anne of Green Gables and Lucy Maud Montgomery which contains information about the 100th Anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables and much more. Not many books have had the staying power of Montgomery's!

Brenda

Lady Susan said...

Brenda,

No, we did not attend any of the events. Although I went to all the historical sites and gazed at multitudes of Anne-memorabilia--to me, the pilgrimage was about seeing the country that L.M. Montgomery described so eloquently. I sort of wanted to pretend that I was Anne, experiencing P.E.I. for the first time--without all the hoopla. And for the most part, you can do that quite easily. I was impressed by the lack of development--Thank Heavens! Hopefully, they will be able to keep it that way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...